Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clearancing iron block for 4.00" stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default clearancing iron block for 4.00" stroke

now if i want to install 4.00" crank, 6.125" rods, 4.030" pistons in iron LS1 block i will need to clearance the block for the extra stroke to clear the rods. how do i do that? do i do it before installing the rotating assembly? or after installing it? and if before installing the rotating assembly how do i know that i clearanced enough to clear the rods? i mean how to measure the clearance?

if clearancing is after installing the rotating assembly how to clean the block from the metal left from grinding the block?

if you have pics about clearancing LS1 for a stroker crank please post them. thanks.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: clearancing iron block for 4.00" stroke

you will not have to do much if anything to your block, also pay close attention to the undersides of the rod make sure they do not interfer with the camshaft...unforunately much of this is trial and error check all these things before you get the motor completely together...be sure that you wait to have the rotating assembly balanced after you have clearanced the rods...
Old 10-23-2002, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: clearancing iron block for 4.00" stroke

go buy some .050 solder in a roll, , when you have the motor together you will need to check for cam to rod clearance, pull a length of the solder out, maybe 10-12 inches, and feed it down between the cam and rod hold it and turn the motor over by hand back and forth at the closest point of contact if the solder gets in the way it will squish and you will see where you need to remove from the side of the rod, if you buy stroker rods there should be ample clearance already machined away, but check it anyway!