Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP, HAVE A IDLE PROBLEM-SURGING

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 11:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP, HAVE A IDLE PROBLEM-SURGING

I don't have any SES codes, but the idle has an intermittent surge while idling in gear-the tach moves from about 480-520 slowly, but once and awhile it'll drop lower like a miss. No problems so far in park, neutral. Not isolated to cold/hot. No vacuum leak noted, checked around EGR. Changed plugs and had no effect, checked wires about 45ohms. Mods in Sig. No luck with External so far. Please help.

TIA, Charlie.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:33 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: NEED HELP, HAVE A IDLE PROBLEM-SURGING

I am assuming this is with stock cam? If so, take it back to the dealer..
Old 10-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP, HAVE A IDLE PROBLEM-SURGING

Vince, yes, internally the engine is stock. I already had it to the dealer once, SES light for EGR vacuum leak. They charged me $95 to tell me I had to make it back to factory, remove all mods, and then if the problem could in any way be related to a mod they would rape me. Bastards.
So, I used the search and found all the articles on surging, read about 80+ of the 300 and most where in reference to TB drill for cams. Some mentinoed IAC counts and TPS. I am trying to narrow down the options. I'm thinking fuel or spark-it is intermittent and only in gear at idle, not real crazy surging, just a little here or there. I guess the whole in gear thing is messing with my head, I don't understand that one. Seems no different before to after plug change-from stockers to TR6's, figure it's insurance for the NX kit.
Will autotap or scanmaster tell me what is up? I have been wanting to buy a scan tool but if it would tell me whats up, I can justify to myself ya know.
How bad, or what conditions need to be met for the SES light to go off? Right now when if I put it in 2nd to engine brake down a hill, then pop it in overdrive, the tach will drop down below 500 rpm and then pop right back up to engine speed. Same thing if I rollup to a stoplight and stop quickly, the tach drops down and then goes up to idle. Reminds me of a float needing adjustment.

TIA.

Charlie.