Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best place for cheap heads and cam install stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 10:39 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default best place for cheap heads and cam install stuff?

i am looking to do a budget heads and cam set up, looks like a can save a few bucks on the extras but i dont want to buy junk either. what parts are the cheapest and still good parts? and what parts are required?

looks like i can get gm headbolts from SPDC for $34

what about head gaskets, need a 4" bore, who should i call?

do i need any other gaskets, i know the intake will be fine and the valve covers will be fine but i haven't ever had anything else apart on one of these so i don't know if i need to buy any other gaskets.

how do you know when you need pushrods? and if i need some who has the best price?

thanks
Old 10-31-2002, 11:35 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: best place for cheap heads and cam install stuff?

A few gaskets you'd want - Water pump gaskets (2), timing cover gasket, and intake manifold gaskets. Also, depending on your heads, you might opt for thicker head gaskets since you are boosted.

Some say you can reuse the intake manifold gaskets. I talked to a GM tech that said he sees alot of intake leaks when reusing intake gaskets. Plus, under boost, I think the intake gasket would be pretty important.

I dont think you would need longer pushrods unless you went with a high lift cam and a thicker head gasket.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:18 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 6.0L head gasket set wasn't too badly priced from GM. It came with bolts, intake and exhaust gaskets, head gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. I don't think the GM 6.0L head gaskets can be had individially yet or if they ever will be again.

Manley chromoly pushrods can be had for less than $100 from SDPC also.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:45 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the cam will be somewhere around a .525-.550 lift, not really sure at all there, when do they make a smaller base circle? i thought it was anything over .500.