Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this cam for an FI M6 car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you think of this cam for an FI M6 car?

I wasn't planning on doing heads and cam this year, but a friend of mine won a raffle for an ARE stage one head and cam package, and I got it so cheap I couldn't pass it up. I am running a supercharger right now, and will be installing headers over the winter (1 7/8 QTP). Barry at ARE recommended the cam.

Here are the specs : 224/224 114LSA .561 / .580

I was a little concerned with the high exhaust lift (but it makes sense if you are runnning boost). Also, I was told it will be OK with a supercharger but works best with a turbo. Any comments? Thanks.

-Geoff
Old 10-31-2002, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: What do you think of this cam for an FI M6 car?

It is a decent blower cam. Do you have emissions in your area?
A blower prefers extra exhaust duration and wide LSAs. I would consider a 226/234 114LSA cam with lift around .560-.580. How much boost are you planning on running?
cheers,
Chris
Old 11-01-2002, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Turbo cams are different, and don't need the extra exhaust duration. What you want is a lot of exhaust velocity.

Also, with that much duration you will have an awesome top end, but not much down low.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have no emmissions to contend with right now (god bless the motor city!), so the cats are coming off this winter, too. Right now, the Powerdyne puts out about 7 psi at 6000 RPM's, so I will probably not be going any higher than that.

It is already a dog in daily driving, so I am not to worried about down low power. I had to remove a bunch of low RPM timing to keep the spark knock down at high load low RPM. Also, the boost starts coming on by 2500 RPM, so I'm not too worried.

What do you think it's going to idle like?

-Geoff