Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam only question...

I have a 2001 Formula with most of the normal bolt ons. It is a M6 car with the 3.42's in the rear and the LS7 clutch setup.

I know people are going to say two things or so right off of the bat, but bear with me. I dont want long tubes now and or even in the near future. We are getting ready to have a new emmission law possible go thru I dont have the hook ups anymore for the good ole boy system. I may put some Mac mids on it, but for now I am looking cam only info.

My total plan is to eventually do a cam, heads, headers, lighter flywheel and a tune. I am not much of a drag racer anymore, I guess I am getting old or something. The tickets and headaches are not worth it and I dont plan on putting a fortune into the car for a clutch, tranny and rear end.

Right now here is what I am after. What are come of you seeing for power numbers with a cam only swap?

I am looking for a a nice gain, but still idle normal and drive normal and still get decent gas mileage. the last time the car was on the dyno it was almost 350rwhp and has had some mods since then so it may be at or a little over that now.

If I could get to the 375+rwhp range I would be happy for now. Is it possible with the criteria I listed above?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, I can tell you this I would do nothing if you are worried about emissions, because if you do not have a hook up it is going to be tough to pass
Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM
On the tree

We dont have a actual test, only a visual inspection...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
We dont have a actual test, only a visual inspection...
We do? That's news to me.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:24 PM
On the tree

The new law from what I was told from a buddy at the OKDPS is still in the works, but they are close to getting it finalized and into effect sometime this year if everything goes thru.

This is rumor at this point, but I dont want to dump the money into the car then have a visual test system and not be able to pass and be stuff with a car that cant get inspected.

BUT...

I take it no one around here does cam only's as there have been several views but no answers. I guess I will go to Extreme this weekend and see what they can offer me.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

if you're really stuck on not getting long tubes you can look into getting the CheaTR cam or a custom grind of something similar.
AJ
Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

ive heard about safety inspections returning but no emisions testing..

if they did do emissions testing i think there would have to be some sort of grandfather clause for all the hot rodders!

dont know though... i have seen several people run the tsp 224 cam on stock everything.. minus springs of course.. i think they even market that cam for the stock guys... not 100% sure on that one.

i would say just build your car the way you want it... there is always a loop hole for everything.. its like making a "hack proof" program... no such thing!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
On the tree

That my main thing, I dont really want long tubes. Dont want the headaches or the fitment issues or anything else.

I also dont have to get approval from the finance department (the wife) and it is easier to ask for $500ish now then to ask for $2000.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

SneakyWS6,

I've thought about this in the past.

People will laugh at me, but I honestly wonder what kinda of power an LS1 can put down with this kind of set-up.

As far as cam selection, make sure you get a cam with either more exhaust duration or lift than normal to work well without longtubes.

Here's a list of part that I thought would be the route to go:
Nice Lid
LS6 intake w/ EGR
AFR 205s
LS1 Hotcam, Cheater, 21X / 22X cam, etc
JBA Cat4ward headers
Random Technology catted Y or SLP Y with stock cats
Your choice of Cat Back

Go for it. I think it would be pretty cool to see what it could do.