Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure problems and rocker arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure problems and rocker arm

ok its kinda lot to explain but I did a head swap on my car put everything back together and the car ran fine for about 100 miles. I decided to open it up and the car felt great. Then after about 5 times of getting on it I heard a rattling noise coming from the motor and a power loss. I took the car back to the shop where I worked at the time and we didnt really hear anything reving it there. I checked the oil and noticed alot of metal in the oil. I didnt really know where to start so I pulled the valve covers and the timing cover. I noticed that the rocker arms were hitting the heads on the side where the pushrods meet. The heads are ported ls6 heads and stock rocker arms. I called patriot where I got the heads from and they never heard of that happening before with stock rocker arms. They told me just to hit the side of the head where it was rubbing and port them out just a little. I did that and flushed out the motor real well to get the metal out. I pulled the oil pan to get the metal out of there and put everything back together. I went ahead and bought a new ported high flow oil pump and put it in cause I was noticing a drop in oil pressure. Now after the crank up again I have little to no oil pressure. I am not sure if I might have messed up the o ring on the pickup tube. Any thoughts before I start to take it back apart. Also any thoughts on how the rocker arms were rubbing. Thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

man, somethings wrong. i hope you didn't wipe out the main bearings.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

any more help havent messed with the car in a while
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hello,

When you pulled the intake off the heads, did you make sure you didn't bump the oil sending unit. The oil sending unit is like glass and I would recommend you change the oil sending unit behind the intake before you jump to conclusions. They often break when you don't take the intake off carefully.

Tilly
Old 05-30-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you spin the crank before putting the rocker covers on? If so, you should have noticed the rockers hitting the lip on the perimeter of the head. That alone would have enabled you to avoid this problem. It's always a good idea to spin the crank for time to time during a cam swap just to be sure everything is going together properly.