Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head cam and flycutting info

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default head cam and flycutting info

Is there a guide made with head and cam combos that lists what combos of heads, gaskets, cam, bore etc.. that need flycutting or not? I know this is kinda a long shot but i thought i would ask. Reason being is i am going to do heads and cam this summer and we grind custom cams at work so i am make anything i want. I am thinking of Dart 205s, Patriot LS6 and PRC LS6 heads. I'd like to get the heads that would give me good flow and can accept a large cam on a stock bottom end 346 without flycutting.

Last edited by pman; 03-30-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman
Is there a guide made with head and cam combos that lists what combos of heads, gaskets, cam, bore etc.. that need flycutting or not? I know this is kinda a long shot but i thought i would ask. Reason being is i am going to do heads and cam this summer and we grind custom cams at work so i am make anything i want. I am thinking of Dart 205s, Patriot LS6 and PRC LS6 heads. I'd like to get the heads that would give me good flow and can accept a large cam on a stock bottom end 346 without flycutting.
I don't think that there is such a guide, but if you get stage 1 patriots or PRCs with stock sized valves, they are ported stock castings so as long as you don't have them milled, you should be close to stock piston to valve clearance. I'm not sure about the Darts, but I think that they have about the same as stock clearances if not a little more clearance, someone else clarify please. Unless you go really big on the cam, most cams fit without flycutting, even the Trex which is 242/248 is designed to fit with stock heads, the other large cams, MS4, g5X4, vindicator etc. are also designed to fit stock motors, but most of those cams run really close clearances which are under the recommended 0.080"/0.100" clearance. I am getting ready to get a cam that is close to the sames specs as the cams that I just listed but I am going to be flycutting though and milling my heads. I personally wouldn't run the cams above without checking and by what I have seen most of the above cams "require" flycutting to keep with safe clearance, maybe I'm just too safe, but I've introduced my valves to my pistons before and it wasn't a happy relationship, so I will just flycut in the future to stay on the safe side.

In summary if you are getting stock ported heads without milling and a cam that is not real big like those listed above you probably won't have to flycut, but just to be safe, I suggest calling TSP or whichever vendor you will but from and ask them.