Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever install a Rev 1116 double spring??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 07:44 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever install a Rev 1116 double spring??

I'm trying to figure out how to get the stock spring seat off the head. I know that the bronze valve guide is pressed in there. I'm not sure how to safely remove it to replace the seat. Do I have to use a new valve guide after removing this one?? Any ideas!
Old 11-15-2002, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone ever install a Rev 1116 double spring??

You will first of all need to purchase a set of the old style (97-early01) valve stem seals. Once you get the springs and retainers off. You will see the spring seat and valve seal come up together.

http://www.cepheid.org/~kris/photos/...p/P1010057.JPG (the left side is the old style stem seal, the right is the new style that incorporates the seal into the seat) The seats just sit down in a pocket machined into the head. So just grab a pair of pliars (i used channel locks), and grip the valve seal and pull up a little bit. It will come loose and pop off. (Make sure you have something in place to hold the valve up, otherwise it WILL drop down. After you get that off, drop the new spring seat down in the pocket, put the new valve seal over the valve stem and push it down with a socket. (Spec shows 18.1-19.1mm from the top of the spring seat to the top of the stem seal... I just pushed mine on as far as they would go with a deep socket) Once you pull the first stem seal and seat off, you'll understand how it all goes together.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

OH. And if you have not done so already... Make sure you spring compressor will compress BOTH springs down. I had the real nice snap-on crank down spring compressor, and it would not grab the inner spring... It turned into a very difficult task to get the springs on. (It was enough of a pain that I went ahead and purchased the new spring compressor from more performance for $129 so I could change out my valve seals this time around)

Hope that helps.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by xaon:
<strong>You will first of all need to purchase a set of the old style (97-early01) valve stem seals. Once you get the springs and retainers off. You will see the spring seat and valve seal come up together.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">xaon,

Derty was talking about my car (which we are putting a cam in this weekend), which is a 99 C5, so it ought to have the older style valve stem seals. Do the early style seals need to be removed to replace the spring seat? and if so, can the valve seal be reused?

Thanks,
Miles
Old 11-15-2002, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the spring seat will come out around the valve seal... you'll just have to try grabbing the seat and try pulling it up and see if it will clear around the valve seals. You should be able to pull the seals off with a pair of pliers or something and reuse them again. Just be careful with them when you're pulling them off.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by xaon:
<strong>OH. And if you have not done so already... Make sure you spring compressor will compress BOTH springs down. I had the real nice snap-on crank down spring compressor, and it would not grab the inner spring... It turned into a very difficult task to get the springs on. (It was enough of a pain that I went ahead and purchased the new spring compressor from more performance for $129 so I could change out my valve seals this time around)

Hope that helps.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got a spring compressor which is a 12" flat piece of metal that bolts to the rocker arm hold down nut above a spring, and is used as a lever to push on the top of the spring retainer. It's got a hole big enough to insert the spring keepers through.
I would have got a crank down spring compressor that could grab both springs, but I waited to the last minute and the parts stores I went to didn't have any that looked like they'd work.

Thanks again,
Miles.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:42 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool, thanks for the info. Any suggestions on removing the steering rack while we are at it!