Sponsored by:

Cam for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam for me

I have a stock 2002 Camaro SS M6.
With just basic SLP options (lid catback etc)
My goal is to make an 11 second pass. I live in Pittsburgh, so we have emissions testing, so I need to keep it emissions legal.

I've been currently leaning toward the TR224 cam, but have a few questions.

I know the internal workings of engines very well, I've never done a cam swap before. Although my buddy who has, says it shouldnt be much of a problem. Will this be to much of a task for us to do?

I have no plans for changing the heads as of right now, what ballpark numbers should I expect? Any type of tuning really involved? If so, with what type of devices (or just typical dyno tuning?). Anything else really needed to do with this swap?

And the last thing, in your honest opinion, will this cam pass emissions testing?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Cam for me

The TR 224 should squeak by on emissions testing, but you might need some PCM tweaks to get a decent idle.

To make decent power with that cam you will need headers, IMHO. 400 RWHP is within reach.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Tom on the external board pretty much sold me on the FLP LTs, but you feel the TR224 will pass with minor tuning? Are there any similar cams, that are pretty much a sure thing?
Old 11-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Teching In

i just wanted to give u my dilemma, i saw u have a 2002 like I do. i have the tr 224 112 and i cant bring it to the dealership because of the lopey cam.. if i were u id get the tr220 on the 114 instead of the 112. if i had to do it again this is ho id go. the 224 is to lopey especially since the car knocks like crazy now(piston slap) also the 224 with no tuning idles like crap, when u first fire it up it coughs and spits till its warm up... no leaving it at the dealer forthem tofire it up... just thought id help.. with as muchproblems s these cars have, t56, slap, ec u need all the help we can get
Old 11-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good question. I have a 2002 M6 SS also. Here's what I want out of a cam: Decent power increase, BUT it has to have a normal idle warm or cold. Emmisions isn't a problem, no testing in Arkansas. I am not planning on a head swap any time in the foreseeable future. I am running a stock exhaust, with the exception of the QTP electric cutout, and have no plans to change this either (my wife likes it quiet).

I'm thinking 221/211 cam. Any opinions?

I really don't need the fastest thing on the street, but if I can get 370hp or so out of it, I'll be happy.