Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Build Question/Concern

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Build Question/Concern

Hey guys I need your help and advice. I built a LS1 long block with stock block and crank, Mahle pistons, aftermarket rods, and stock sized Clevite bearings. My problem is that I built the long block and let it sit for a week or so. When I try to turn the engine with a wrench it doesn't turn. I literally have to get a 2 foot breaker bar and apply (according to my torque wrench) about 200 ft/lbs to get it to spin. But once it starts spinning then I can turn it easily with my wrench an NO breaker bar with about 45 ft/lbs of torque which seems right to me. It seems to spin smoothly without any problems but it just seems to take a lot of force to start spinning even after a few days. I used moly lube on the bearings and oiled up the cam and lifters like I was supposed to.

My question is if this behavior is normal? And if it is bad to let a freshly built engine sit for too long before running it? Please give me your advice and help.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

You have moly lube on everything, rod/main bearings, the whole cam, and oil on the cylinder walls, it should be fine. I just used oil on everything with no moly lube, either way is ok. The one i built has been sitting for about 4 months. It gets turned over every once in a while, and it is stiff to get it to start, but then it moves easily. When I put this one together, while it was upside down i filled the pick-up tube several times, then it would bleed down, and i'd fill it up again, and turn the motor over some. This is about he only way we can prime our oil system. When you put it in the car, I'd pour a good bit of oil on the valvetrain before you start it. But, it should be good to go.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as everything was properly lubed during the build, you should be fine.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. This is the general consensus that I have been told today as well. So it looks like it is good to go. A bit concerning but I guess it is just normal. It is going to be one hell of a car when it is done but that is several months away I'm sure.

Thanks,
Adam