Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Roller and Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solid Roller and Oil Pressure

I have heard many school sof thought on this ranging from bushing the lifter bores to tolerancing on the crank.

What kind of oil pressures are you getting with your solid rollers and what things did you do to improve it if you did?

Thanks!

Tom
Old 11-21-2002, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Solid Roller and Oil Pressure

We haven't had an oil pressure problem with any of our solid roller LS1 or 6.0 blocked motors we've done. The only problem I've heard of is with the solid roller C5R 7.0 blocks. On that issue we've heard of several solutions like you were talking about.

Paul
Old 11-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Paul - What is the oil pressure that you are seeing in your solid roller stuff? Are you shimming the oil pumps at all?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-21-2002, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DIAMOND:
<strong>Paul - What is the oil pressure that you are seeing in your solid roller stuff? Are you shimming the oil pumps at all?

Thanks,
Chris</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just using the Katech pumps, no shims, we are seeing about 60+ish WOT and about 45ish at idle. I watched mine real close all the time and it was always good. After very hard running it would drop just a hair but nothing to be concerned about. Shane's 409 would get to about 70psi at 7000rpms.

Paul
Old 11-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PROBLEM is the lifter body,but it only happens with a built bottom ends.Most of the drop in solid lifter bodies are .001" smaller.Normally with a built bottom with performance clerances and a hydralic there is no problem. But once you throw in the soild lifters there is more oil clearance leakage. The LS1 lifter oil galley dia.is to big for a .001" smaller lifter body and aluminum block which expands more than a cast iron block. The proper way to correct this in an aluminum block is to have the lifter bores bushed and sized,and also a smaller oil feed oil in the bushings.

The normal oil pressure drop in a buit motor with drop in soild lifters is 8-12 psi,and only at idle.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info Allan. You and I have the same thoughts on this from what we have both seen in our prior LS1 solid roller build ups. Most of the aftermarket lifters are a little small for the solid roller stuff. I have good luck bushing the lifter bores and have never had any issues when doing this. We take the oil hole in the bushing and make it a lot smaller than the factory oil galley hole. This helps restrict the oil and builds more pressure. Also like you said Allan, with the hyd roller lifters there is no problems. I have even taken solid rollers out of a engine on the dyno and replaced them with hyd. rollers and picked up a good 10-15psi of oil pressure. Thanks again for the info Allan.

Tom - your lifters were a good .0015" small compared to the standard hyd. lifters at .842, give or take a few tenths.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-22-2002, 11:17 AM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

So bushing it is.

Thanks for info!

Tom