Sponsored by:

? on dual spring install

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 10:25 PM
cy
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on dual spring install

Alright, i ordered TR's cam packge #3. Do i use a normal spring compressor to install these springs? Also, it says i need the valve stem seals...ummm...how do i put them on and what exactly are they? Not exactly a veteran with cars, so help is needed. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: ? on dual spring install

You will have to have head work done for the double springs I think.The valve seals slide over the stem of the valve to keep oil from running down between the valve and the head.They are not hard to install.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:37 AM
cy
On The Tree

I thought with the Rev 1116's you don't have to have your heads machined to accept them?

With the valve stem seals, i assume its just a matter of sliding it over the valve stem before i put the springs and all back on, am i right?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The REV-1116 springs will not need machining. If you are an f-body, I would suggest buying the valve spring compressor from www.moreperformanceinc.com It will be the easiest option if you are an f-body. If you're a y-body, you can get away with the lever-style compressor from autozone and the likings. Otherwise you WILL cuss yourself. It took the use of 3 people, lots of cussing and frustration, and a lot of time to get the back 3 valve springs done on each side with a crank-down style compressor.

As for the valve seals. They are just a small seal that slides over your valve. You will have to pull your stock ones off to get the spring seats off. If you have a 98-00 car, you can gently remove them with some pliars and then re-use them. If you have a 02 model car, you will have to buy new the old 98-00 style. If you have an 01 model... it's a toss up, somewhere midpoint they switched style. My car came with the new style and I had to replace them out. To install them, you just slide them over the valve stem, and push down. I use a 1/2" deep socket to rest on the top of the seal and push down on it until it wouldn't go down any further. (It pushed down another 1/2 inch or so).

So to reinstall everything, you'll put the new spring seat down, then the valve seal on, push it down, then install the springs and retainer.

I have some pictures at: http://www.cepheid.org/~kris/photos/...nstall/dialup/

<small>[ November 22, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: xaon ]</small>

Quick Reply: ? on dual spring install