Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost the motor in 99 Vette, Broken REV valve spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002 | 01:20 PM
Banned

Default Lost the motor in 99 Vette, Broken REV valve spring

Well a 99 vette that i helped build is definately hurt. I run a performance shop here in California. brand new Compcams XE-R 214/214, mid 5' lift, 114. new rev double valve springs, tit retainers, hardened pushrods etc.

Its been on for about 1000 miles. was doing some dyno pulls on it running it up to the 6400 rev limiter. Started missing badly, thought we hurt the motor becuase we were doing nitrous tuning.

took valve cover off, couldnt see any problems or breaks, did compression test and it was good.

Kept driving it using autotap looking for a problem, changed MAF , plugs , wires etc.

Suddenly car just about wouldnt run, i guess #8 valve spring completely failed, no compression on #8 and motor is knocking HARD. There was no visable break when we inspected the springs/pushrods 20 miles before.

What do to here? whats REV's phone #, this is there fault and i think they should cover it.
Old 11-26-2002 | 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Lost the motor in 99 Vette, Broken REV valve spring

How do you know it's the spring's fault? You said you couldn't visually see it upon inspection initially, can you see it now? Maybe you burnt a hole through the piston or melted some ringlands with the nitrous and cylinder 8 gave out first?

REV will cover the spring if they deem it to be a mechanical failure and not due to improper installation, etc. They will not however cover labor or other damages. No company does this.
Old 11-26-2002 | 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to pull off both valve covers and check all the springs. I would definately find something broken before placing blame.
Old 11-26-2002 | 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Definitely need to find out what is up before going and blaming a component, but does sound like a possible spring. What was the installed height and how close to coil bind? If they are installed at 1.800 or less they will have too much seat pressure. These springs like to be at 1.830-1.850" installed height to work properly.

If you have been running nitrous I would not expect REV to take care of it as almost no one, component supplier or engine builder, will warranty with nitrous use. Can't hurt to ask for sure. For what it is worth, nitrous use is the only time I have seen these springs fail. Hopefully it will be easily repaired and resolved.

Mike
Old 11-27-2002 | 11:20 AM
Banned

I should have mentioned that when we found #8 dead and the car wouldnt run, we repulled valve covers after compression test on #8 and found a VERY VERY broken valve spring, and bent pushrod.

The installed height was correct. they were installed correct.

Why on earth would springs fail on a 100 shot? plus the springs have 1000 miles and it broke the first time we sprayed the car.
Old 11-27-2002 | 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really don't think rev will cover it with NOS in the picture.

LunaticTA and I put ours in 1 week apart, tr224/.561/112lsa, Rev Double Springs, Ti Retainers, TR Hardened Pushrods. He has 3000 miles, I have close to 5000 miles and neither of us have had a single problem. We are getting ready now to tear them down and inspect them just to be sure of no problems.

Good Luck
Old 11-28-2002 | 12:24 AM
Launching!

I have 5000 mi on mine already with no problems.

Leo