Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ! - I Need some clarification....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002 | 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default HELP ! - I Need some clarification....

I'll be self-installing a cam in my camaro and I've decided to use MBASKETT method.
I just need some clarification with respect to that procedure. According to that procedure:

1) Remove Rockers (keep the same order when
installing back)
2) Remove Pushrods

Question: Once I remove pushrods, at this point am I supposed to put the magnet rods in, to prevents the lifters from droping in ? The MBASKETT method just says that I have ~30 minutes once I remove the cam, before they drop in ?

3) Remove spark plugs, and wires
4) Use air compressor on one cylinder at 60psi, use spring compressor to change the springs. repeat process for all cylinders

5) Change the cam
6) Install pushrods
Question: If I have new pushrods, do I need to put them in certain order ???

7) Insatll rockers

One more thing: I know there was a typo in a procedure for torque specs. The correct specs are:

- 26 lb-ft (instead of 18 lb-ft) for the three
cam bolts
- 26 lb-ft for three 10 mm timing gear bolts
- 18 lb-ft for ten 10mm timing cover bolts

Thank You for your replies
Adam
Old 12-27-2002 | 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: HELP ! - I Need some clarification....

I will try to help as I did my cam swap myself with the mbasket method too.

1)Yes, keep your rockers in order when you take them off.
2)Remove your pushrods at the same time you take your rockers off, if you are installing new pushrods there is no need to keep in order.

Once you have the rocker arms off and pushrods out and have the front cover and chain off, rotate your cam 360 degrees to push all of your lifters up into the plastic pockets. They SHOULD stay put but for extra insurance, put your pen magnets through the pushrod holes at this time and make sure they are touching the lifters and are braced against the head to keep from dropping your lifter and magnet through the hole.

At this time, I would pull the cam. Be careful when pulling the cam, you need to be slow and gentle when pulling the cam out of the block as the bearings will nick easily if you just yank it out. You will probably feel the cam stop as you are pulling it out, when this happens you need to try to keep the cam as level as you can and gently turn it while at the same time gently pulling it towards the front of the block. It will eventually come out. Once the old cam is out, you should have already lubed up your new cam and have it ready to go in. Once you have your old cam out, start putting your new cam in, installing it the same way your old cam came out. Once in, you can pull your pen magnets off the lifters and go ahead and put your new pushrods in. You will have to push down on the new pushrods to get your lifters to pop back out of the plastic pockets that are holding them and you will hear them sit back on the cam.

Once you start replacing the valve springs, start with one cylinder at a time. Take spark plug and wire off, screw in air hose(the kind for a compression tester) and hook air hose to it. Turn air compressor on and let the air compress in the cylinder to hold the valve shut without dropping the valve when you pull off the valve spring. At this time, swap both valve springs(intake,exhaust) on that cylinder. Once you are done, take hose off and move onto next cylinder. Repeat till all springs are changed.

Install rocker arms in the same position they came off, torque in sequence.

One more thing, be careful on the torquing of the timing cover bolts, I torqued mine to spec and on the last pound, mine stripped so if I were to do it again I would go one pound lower.

Hope this helps. Need to know anything else, let me know.

Jess
Old 12-27-2002 | 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank You very much !!!
That cleared a lot of things up... I'll keep in mind your e-mail if I'll run into some specific problems during the install

Adam
Old 12-27-2002 | 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Anytime, feel free to ask anything you need to know. I will be glad to help. Good luck.

Jess