Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I spray STP air intake cleaner through the PCV inlet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I spray STP air intake cleaner through the PCV inlet?

Can i spray STP or another intake cleaner through the PCV inlet, And Is I't OK to spray while the engine is running? I tryed to spray cleaner with the MAF disconected, but the car would not run with the MAF disconnected, What is the best way to clean the air intake and what is the best product to use?
Old 12-28-2002, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Can I spray STP air intake cleaner through the PCV inlet?

GM makes stuff call Top Engine Cleaner. You take the lid and bellows off but leave the maf connected. Start the car and let it idle intil warm. Spray the entire can into the TB. You might have to move the throttle by hand some so that you don't get the cleaner all over the place. It takes a while cause you will spray some and it will puddle in the TB until the motor sucks it all in.

Now the fun part....you get the whole can of cleaner in there and then shut off the motor. Let it sit for like 20-30 mins. Make sure all pets and small children are out of the way. Go and start your motor.

It will cough and sputter like crazy and smoke like it is burning a quart of oil per minute. Don't worry, this is normal. Let the car warm back up a little and get in a drive it around. The car will continue to smoke. You have to blow all that crap outta there. The first few times you hit the gas it will backfire like a cannon. Again, this is normal. Keep up the spirited driving until the spy hunter syndrome wears off and you cant see smoke behind your car anymore.

The whole process takes about 40-45 mins. But it is well worth it.

hope this helps

Andy
Old 12-28-2002, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Can I spray STP air intake cleaner through the PCV inlet?

Does this foul the plugs?

Quick Reply: Can I spray STP air intake cleaner through the PCV inlet?