Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you calculate head pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default How do you calculate head pressure?

How does a person figure out how high or how much the "head presser" there is in the cylinder? I think I lifted my head/heads when I was racing this past summer.
I would bring the RPM's up 5500 when leaving the line, I also was shooting 100HP wet shot off the line. I had my nitrous ON pill at 3300 but I also run a WOT switch so I know I was not spaying that low of rpm's.
After all was said and done when I opened my radiator cap the water would pulsate up about two feet with the same rhythm as the engine. The water temp was also about 210 to 220 even with a 160 thermo. When I replaced the head gaskets there was no real obvious spot but the head gaskets where water logged...soaking wet!
What I'm thinking is that I might have lifted the head but I don't understand why it would do it with such a low amount of nitrous. This next summer I'm going with a 150HP wet off the line but I'm going to put in a 4500 RPM pill, still not knowing if this will even help.
Does anyone know how to come up with a number for the head pressure with a given cam and nitrous?
Also what head pressure will stretch stock head bolts?