13.66%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

MS4, Vindicator, other..which cam????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MS4 VS. Vindicator

Like it says I am looking at the different came and about to order cam and the rest of the valvetrain here in the next couple of weeks.

If other please do explain

My set up rigt now is a 2001 SS M6, stock rear end for now and stock heads. Full bolt ons. I am lookgn for a bad *** cam with lots of power under the curve and pull hard ontop. I wont be making many strip trips in the next year until I snag a 12 bolt next spring/summer. Also this is not a DD

Last edited by blacksskid07; 04-19-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I voted vindicator cam for the fact ive seen that cam make some serious hp on stock heads. if you look in the dyno section youll find some good numbers with this cam.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've done lots of searching on both cams and it looks like it's what I a gona go with. 12 bolt next summer and some heads the summer after
Old 04-19-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

I would have to say out of the those MS4...it is PROVEN....the Vindicator is NEW and has yet to really produce solid numbers time after time after time....but hey it seems good give it a try...

E
Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant go wrong with either both can get 400rwhp with good tune and boltons.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm gona be cam only for about 2 years, then i plan on changing cms when I go to heads and compression to have hp and tq
Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK first things first. Power under the curve and your choice of cams do not go together at all Erikthegoalie you still havent learned or listened to a fawking thing. Those msX cams suck for power under the curve but you just dont get it.

blacksskid you really need to set some goals and come up with a budget as well. Power under the curve is a TR224 or Patricks 224/228 cam. Add gears and the right heads and you can go bigger with the cam but if you put one of those choices you have in your car right you'll hate it. Erik has an ms3 he doesnt like and yet he recommends an ms4??? Stooopid!

Do some more research. A lot more or you'll be sorry with your first setup. Call Thunder Racing and talk to them. OR Talk to Patrick or Predator
Old 04-19-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

Do some more research. A lot more or you'll be sorry with your first setup. Call Thunder Racing and talk to them. OR Talk to Patrick or Predator
Those guys are really smart when it comes to cam selection. But so are alot of the sponsors as well.

My first cam was the TR230/224 and I loved it. I wish I would have kept it in there for another year. I ran times below with full bolt ons and made 390rwhp.

Don't just jump out there and get a monster size cam. It will surge down low if you try to put it around. And you will have to spin the motor pretty high to get all the power out of it.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK first things first. Power under the curve and your choice of cams do not go together at all Erikthegoalie you still havent learned or listened to a fawking thing. Those msX cams suck for power under the curve but you just dont get it.

blacksskid you really need to set some goals and come up with a budget as well. Power under the curve is a TR224 or Patricks 224/228 cam. Add gears and the right heads and you can go bigger with the cam but if you put one of those choices you have in your car right you'll hate it. Erik has an ms3 he doesnt like and yet he recommends an ms4??? Stooopid!

Damn dude, have you driven a car with MS4 to be making statements that the cam sucks for power down low? From what dyno sheets I have seen and from what people are saying it seem like the MS4 is much better for power all around the band rather then just peak power. If you would keep up with whats been happening then you might see that there are a few bigger cams out there making good power all around the power band. I don't know about you but when I put a cam in my car i want to be able to hear it, putting something like a 224 in your car is gonna leave it with a near stock idle. Maybe big cams are not for everybody but more often then not people start small and end up going bigger, so why do it twice just start big. Remember a lot of the driveability of a cam is in the tune, so get a good tune and you should be happy.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Launching!

My vote goes for the MS4.Its makes proven power.Check out the results in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/692642-car-going-tsp-next-week-what-expect.html

The vindicator cam has absolutely no P/V.Here is a video link to a P/V check with a stock short block using stock heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm867YGK5aA
Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSS
Damn dude, have you driven a car with MS4 to be making statements that the cam sucks for power down low? From what dyno sheets I have seen and from what people are saying it seem like the MS4 is much better for power all around the band rather then just peak power. If you would keep up with whats been happening then you might see that there are a few bigger cams out there making good power all around the power band. I don't know about you but when I put a cam in my car i want to be able to hear it, putting something like a 224 in your car is gonna leave it with a near stock idle. Maybe big cams are not for everybody but more often then not people start small and end up going bigger, so why do it twice just start big. Remember a lot of the driveability of a cam is in the tune, so get a good tune and you should be happy.

Your absolutely wrong. I'm not going to argue, my point has been proven time and time again. The MS4 is by no means a power under the curve cam. You think a tr224 is blasse and past its prime go ahead and be ignorant. I could care less. It's not my car that will be a slug. Put it in the category of been there done that but apparently you know better becasue you've seen a couple graphs. I ran a 224 and now run a 234. The ms4 is a what ? Dont tell me what I already know and you dont because you've heard a couple things.

Cams on this site are like ice cream flavors of the week. You get a few people who have never had double dip chocolate chip before. They get their first taste and they go nuts and post all kinds of happy dribble about their new found joy.

KIngss comes along and reads it and thinks its the nest coming of christ when in fact its nothing close. Just someone who got excited and posted their enthusiasm.

Erikthegoalie has an ms3 he doesnt like but yet he says an ms4??????

You cant change the laws of physics and big cams are what they are. Even the ms4. I'll drop from this thread. You've got the experts in here helping you so your all set.. LMAO! ( no offense JR, not speaking about you)
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your absolutely wrong. I'm not going to argue, my point has been proven time and time again. The MS4 is by no means a power under the curve cam. You think a tr224 is blasse and past its prime go ahead and be ignorant. I could care less. It's not my car that will be a slug. Put it in the category of been there done that but apparently you know better becasue you've seen a couple graphs. I ran a 224 and now run a 234. The ms4 is a what ? Dont tell me what I already know and you dont because you've heard a couple things.

Cams on this site are like ice cream flavors of the week. You get a few people who have never had double dip chocolate chip before. They get their first taste and they go nuts and post all kinds of happy dribble about their new found joy.

KIngss comes along and reads it and thinks its the nest coming of christ when in fact its nothing close. Just someone who got excited and posted their enthusiasm.

You cant change the laws of physics and big cams are what they are. Even the ms4. I'll drop from this thread. You've got the experts in here helping you so your all set.. LMAO! ( no offense JR, not speaking about you)

Preach it brother!!!

Cams are like anything else, you can't have everything. Do you want power under the curve or top end pull?? I am sorry, but a ~240 dur cam in a cam only setup is NOT going to be a stump puller.

If you are dead set that 224 is to small, think 228.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

LOLOLOLOLOL dude, hear me out!...he is asking about these specific cams though, so I figured I'd give my $0.02 on what I know...and I have listened to all of you guys...hell, I am narrowing down to which cam I will switch too....and I thank you for your help!

With that said...BLACKSSKID- do your homework first...I'd say cam only go with something with power where you want it, UNDER THE CURVE!!!
lISTEN TO THE gurus (predZ and patrickG, and others) they wont steer you wrong....
Old 04-20-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

man, someone is mad at me
I simply said MS4 because the guy has a poll for the two...that's why...yeesh
again, I went with a big cam hoping I could corral the bitch...does not seem to want to work, EVER with one of the best tuners in the land...

SO, I learn as I go, and will move to a smaller 224 cam with N20!! that'll be much better power where I want it..and ill have the shot if i miss the pull from time to time

Blanco- chill man...it's going to be ok lololol
Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

I have the MS4 in my m6 and I freaking love it, it is all in the tune though, and high enough gears to get it in the power band, I am putting 4.10's in a few hours and getting rid of my 3.73's for my 12-bolt.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

what are ms4 cam only cars runnin I see the vindicator cam only cars are running 11.7's

Last edited by blacksskid07; 04-20-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

smaller cams run those numbers as well....it comes down to the USABLE powerband and what you think is driveable on the street...seriously, I am experiencing that right now...

any cam can be tamed with a tune..but..larger cams mechanically still will have a higer power band...not something everyone wants on the street...your car seems like a street car to me...just something to think about...
Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I drive my jacked up jeep in the street, I'll be at the track all the time as soon as I throw on a 12 bolt.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

ahhh well that changes a few things then....just keep asking questions...and make sure we all understand where you are going with your f bod...good luck I am subscribing..
Erik
Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Everybody wants to be a hero when it comes to cam selection.

Buy the MS4.

Next month when you're tired of the big cam bullshit buy a 224 on a 112 and enjoy your car again.

Quick Reply: MS4, Vindicator, other..which cam????