Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing ASA cam, what all do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007 | 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Installing ASA cam, what all do I need?

The cam's going in my buddy's 01 WS6 with pacesetter LTs, true duals and lid/pp tb. I tried to convince him to go with something a little more radical but he's dead set on something that cams hard and will never require a spring swap. So far all we've ordered is the cam itself and some LS6 springs. We'll obviously need some new gaskets when we're putting everything back together but is there anything else we need besides a tune? With the small lift on the cam do you think aftermarket pushrods are in order? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rollinna65
The cam's going in my buddy's 01 WS6 with pacesetter LTs, true duals and lid/pp tb. I tried to convince him to go with something a little more radical but he's dead set on something that cams hard and will never require a spring swap. So far all we've ordered is the cam itself and some LS6 springs. We'll obviously need some new gaskets when we're putting everything back together but is there anything else we need besides a tune? With the small lift on the cam do you think aftermarket pushrods are in order? Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes, hardened pushrods are cheap insurance. Plus since the base circle on the cam is smaller than stock, I decided to run the 7.425's from Thunder Racing. Also, upgrading to a LS2 chain while you're in there would be a good idea too. They are only like $28 from SDPC.
Just my $.02
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:37 PM
Banned

Do the oil pump also, it's right there so you might as well knock it out.
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the oil pump mine went out the day after my last cam swap.
Old 04-24-2007 | 10:43 PM
Launching!

I thought the oil pump was supossed to be prett good on the 01 engines?
get some of those little spring lock retainer things, they are cheap enough and seem to just pop off and get lost.

How are you holding the valves up? If you've got an air compressor get the fitting so you can use it. THe fitting is the same on a compression tester if you have one. Or can be bought for 5 bucks.
Don't forget spring removal tool, plus some wooden dowls to hold up the lifters.
Also get a longer bolt that will thread into the crankshaft, this will give you enough threads to remove the ballancer, and will prevent you from screwing up your threads, the stock bolt may work, but only grab 2 or 3 threads, inn which case they could become distorted on the crankshaft and you'll then need to fix them. You'll need a new bolt as well.

post back with a soundclip or video and some impressions
Old 04-25-2007 | 09:51 AM
Teching In

Hey I'm the one that bought the cam. Yeah the lift I thought was very low my self , but I plan getting a new 9" with 3.90 gears soon. I think it would make easyier to shift at a desent RPM and still drop within a good TRQ range without killing the motor, maybe tires (which isn't a problem I don't drive much). It only has 45K on it and it is my only source of transportaion for now. In its later years, heads, N2O (maybe differnt cam) and try to pop it just to replace it. It's almost payed off, so second vehicle is in future. If it's worth it "while I'm there" I'll replace it. Need imputs soon, cam is on it's way.
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

I just got the same cam

I ordered the cam and the cam install kit, new seals (2 kits of 8), new locks ( 32) , ls6 springs Thunder racing ported ls6 oil pump with the pan gasket, oring and the other gasket, comp 7.425 pushrods, tool from ebay to hold lifters up, ASP Pulley, new belts, ls2 chain, prothane poly motor and trans mounts.

I will also be installing my long tubes, x + td's, ls6 intake and ported tb, as well as a tci 3000 stall, hopefully soon.
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:34 AM
On The Tree

buy some 1.8 roller rockers and bring your lift up a bit. ( my next mod) good for a few extra ponies. ls6 spring will be ok too. also if you havent already done so, get a ASP or Powerbond underdrive pulley to free up some extra ponies as well. just my opinion because thats what i did and i was very pleased w/ the 400 rwhp i put down on my dyno tune.
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:43 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=d james]I thought the oil pump was supossed to be prett good on the 01 engines?
get some of those little spring lock retainer things, they are cheap enough and seem to just pop off and get lost.

How are you holding the valves up? If you've got an air compressor get the fitting so you can use it. THe fitting is the same on a compression tester if you have one. Or can be bought for 5 bucks.
Don't forget spring removal tool, plus some wooden dowls to hold up the lifters.
Also get a longer bolt that will thread into the crankshaft, this will give you enough threads to remove the ballancer, and will prevent you from screwing up your threads, the stock bolt may work, but only grab 2 or 3 threads, inn which case they could become distorted on the crankshaft and you'll then need to fix them. You'll need a new bolt as well.

Its a 01WS-6, should have the LS-6 oil pump. yeah its dangerous holding on to the valve keepers (lots of white lithium geese works when replacing (have to change the oil after cam break in any way). About the ballancer, I think we can leave the bolt in or take it out and use a pulley puller to get it loose. Oh and some pen magnetnets are going to hold the lifters in place. Holding the vaulve up, didn't think of that! Hopefully the stroke in the engine doesnt screw with the stock valve lenght plus chamber size and will not be able to fish out the valve with those pen magnets after the cam install. INPUTS! Please.
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:48 AM
On The Tree

when you use those pin magnets , be very careful you dont shake the car. i would use the wooden dowels also!
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 740racing
I just got the same cam

I ordered the cam and the cam install kit, new seals (2 kits of 8), new locks ( 32) , ls6 springs Thunder racing ported ls6 oil pump with the pan gasket, oring and the other gasket, comp 7.425 pushrods, tool from ebay to hold lifters up, ASP Pulley, new belts, ls2 chain, prothane poly motor and trans mounts.

I will also be installing my long tubes, x + td's, ls6 intake and ported tb, as well as a tci 3000 stall, hopefully soon.

I think I need hardened pushrods too, with all the trouble from stock ones, but I have low miles (45K) and little lift, never missed a shift (B&M ripper) as for as the chain, I'll be digging in my motor come +80K. Allready have energy mount, and not really worried about gaskets yet, have many parts stores nearby.
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by L$1W$6
when you use those pin magnets , be very careful you dont shake the car. i would use the wooden dowels also!

Wooden dowels how?
Old 04-25-2007 | 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by L$1W$6
buy some 1.8 roller rockers and bring your lift up a bit. ( my next mod) good for a few extra ponies. ls6 spring will be ok too. also if you havent already done so, get a ASP or Powerbond underdrive pulley to free up some extra ponies as well. just my opinion because thats what i did and i was very pleased w/ the 400 rwhp i put down on my dyno tune.

Rollers rockers, I might be better off waiting till later, but a little more lift from .525 would be nice. Maybe when I'm closer to a new motor. The valve train is pretty loose stock anyways. The LS-6 springs are comming with the cam. Does that UD pulley effect your alt., A/C,etc.?

Last edited by 01Wickedwench; 04-25-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2007 | 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01Wickedwench
Wooden dowels how?
Ls1howto.com
Old 04-25-2007 | 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Def get hardened pushrods, new timing chain (ls2), and a new ported ls6 oil pump as suggested above. In addition, are you sure the ls6 springs can handle the asa cam? Im not positive on the specs but I thought the asa needed comp 918's?
Old 04-25-2007 | 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
In addition, are you sure the ls6 springs can handle the asa cam? Im not positive on the specs but I thought the asa needed comp 918's?
The ls6 springs are good to ~.550 lift and the asa is only a .525 lift cam so I don't see why there would be a problem. Also, the ls6 cam ramps up faster than the asa cam which is harder on the springs. If I'm missing something let me know, I don't want anything going wrong with the install.
Old 04-25-2007 | 04:22 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
In addition, are you sure the ls6 springs can handle the asa cam? Im not positive on the specs but I thought the asa needed comp 918's?
If stepping up to a 1.8 or 1.85 rocker ratio, then you should step up to 918's. The ASA works fine on '02+ LS6 springs if you retain the factory 1.7 rocker ratio.
Old 04-25-2007 | 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
If stepping up to a 1.8 or 1.85 rocker ratio, then you should step up to 918's. The ASA works fine on '02+ LS6 springs if you retain the factory 1.7 rocker ratio.
I agree.
You said the LS6 springs are good to .550, which ones are you using? My LS6 springs are good to .580 lift (according to Lingenfelter)
Old 04-25-2007 | 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
I agree.
You said the LS6 springs are good to .550, which ones are you using? My LS6 springs are good to .580 lift (according to Lingenfelter)
We're using the yellow ls6 springs which now that I think about it probably are good to a little more lift. I read a long time ago that they were good to .550 lift but those were probably the blue springs.
Old 04-25-2007 | 05:29 PM
On The Tree

you should use some 7.425 pushrods to quiet down the valvetrain while your at it.

Quick Reply: Installing ASA cam, what all do I need?