Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does bent valve=damaged guide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does bent valve=damaged guide?

A friend of mine is trying to sell his stock 243 casting heads with comp 918 springs. As of right now the valves are bent because of someone not knowing what they were doing when installing a cam. The heads will have new valves but my question is, Is it probable that the valve guides are damaged? He is wanting to sell them fairly cheap and i know patriot sell castings for $395 but, he is trying to sell me his heads and a BMR adjustable tq arm(sell new for around $400) for $600 for both. If there is a chance of them being damaged what would i look for if i were to look at them? Thanks guys
Old 04-27-2007, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

for a visual inspection look for flat spots and knicks or anywhere that may look like the valve had hard contact with the guide. also look at the valves also.they may have signs of hard contact also
Old 04-27-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBlackZ
A friend of mine is trying to sell his stock 243 casting heads with comp 918 springs. As of right now the valves are bent because of someone not knowing what they were doing when installing a cam. The heads will have new valves but my question is, Is it probable that the valve guides are damaged? He is wanting to sell them fairly cheap and i know patriot sell castings for $395 but, he is trying to sell me his heads and a BMR adjustable tq arm(sell new for around $400) for $600 for both. If there is a chance of them being damaged what would i look for if i were to look at them? Thanks guys
If you put new valves in, you have to do a valve job so the shop should check for any guide damage.
IMO, pass on them unless he gives the heads for ~ 150>200$
Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bent valve may also crack the guide on the chamber side.

Quick Reply: Does bent valve=damaged guide?