Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C Job on the Cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question H/C Job on the Cheap?

Im trying to do a H/C job as cheap as possible, trying to see what parts can be re-used in the swapover. I've got a set of LS2 243 casting heads as a starter. I haven't decided on the cam yet, but want to go ahead and buy springs, lifters, rods, gaskets, head bolts, etc. My question is what can I reuse out of my 2001 LS1 motor? Are new lifters a good idea? Can i reuse the head bolts? Im new to this but looking for some help. I will definitely be getting some help on the swap and then the required tune.
Ed
Old 05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant reuse the head bolts... no no... im currently doing this swap myself.

you need the following:

New head gaskets (GM MLS are the cheapest and MUCH better than stock)

New water pump gaskets (x2)

New timing cover gasket (1)

New oil pump O ring... or new oil pump (depends on how many miles you have)

New timing cover hub gasket

Exhaust manifold gaskets (x2)

New crank bolt (a 120mm length) (x1)

coolant line vent gaskets (x 4)

Head bolt kit (x2)

you might also possibly need new intake manifold gaskets (come in a set of 8, buy the felpro ones from summit), i dont think you need new lifters, or rockers, or pushrods, although pushrods maybe needed depending the cam you choose. I would also say change your timing chain

dont forget... you need:

Oil
Oil Filter
Coolant
some RTV gasket maker
renting a power steering pulley puller
renting the 3 arm jaw puller for the crank pulley
a 24mm socket for the crank pulley bolt
a LONG breaker bar

this is pretty much what you need... you're going to spend about 4-500$ in parts, gaskets, fluids.. ect... not cheap really..

you can reuse all other bolts (timing cover bolts, intake bolts, water pump bolts, ect)

i may also add.. that you may want to change your motor mounts at this time to some poly mounts...

you can find all the gaskets you are looking for at www.thunderracing.com i bought 90% of what i needed from them. (all but the intake manifold bolts, got the felpro ones from summit for $24)

anything else?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, for starters you can find alot of this information with some reading in this section. But I'll run thru what I know real quick.

If you not rebuilding the entire motor, rods are not needed. For a H/C only swap I would suggest the following:

Heads of your choice(which you said you already have, although I believe the 243's are LS6 heads, not LS2)
new head bolts, stock GM cannot be reused
head gaskets
spring kit(I wouldn't buy until I picked a cam)
pushrods
timing chain
cam bolt & gasket kit
possibly injectors depending on how big you go
cam of your choice (know before you buy what you REALLY expect out of the car)

And then don't forget about the small nickel & dime stuff.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy the springs till you know what cam you're going to get. I would put new lifters in it if you're pulling the heads. You can't reuse the head bolts. Alot of people also put in a new LS2 timing chain and ported/shimmed LS6 oil pump. ARP studs are nice if you see yourself pulling the heads in the future, that way you don't have to **** with the stock bolts and clean out all the bolt holes. You can use the steel multi-layer head gaskets or go with a cometic to bump up the compression a tad. If you decide to go with the cometic, it's a good idea to deck the heads (very slight mill) for a even surface and to clean the block very well. You also need to know about your PTV (piston to valve) clearence as well, which is a whole new topic. It's a good time to put in new motor mounts too.

Here's some gaskets/items that can be replaced:

- Front cover gasket
- Rear cover gasket
- Front main seal
- Water pump gaskets
- Oil pump to pickup o-ring
- You need a new Crankshaft bolt

Last edited by ls1muscle; 05-02-2007 at 12:25 PM.