Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's the "Man" when it comes to choosing a cam...............

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
All of this is very true. However if you are really building something very different, then not every first pitch is a homerun. Even the best have to learn something everyday
Well, its nothing crazy, but the little bit I have learned is that ITB intakes can allow for much more aggressive cams than the common intakes (LS6, FAST, sheet metal). I'm also using All-Pro symetrical port heads that flow over 400cfm. I'd like to use an ITB intake but they just seem to be a pain in the *** or a complete rip-off (Kinsler ITB for the LS1...$10,000). The Harrop is a definite possibility though. Sheet metal is another possibility, and I hear about losing low end torque with the sheet metal. But really, how noticable will a loss of some low end torque be with a 454ci engine. I think not much. My use for the car is 100% strictly street use doing roll races only. So a sheet metal is good for up top HP. Only so much torque you can use on the street anyway. My 436 right now is way too much torque down low as is, so I'm not worried at all about a much more powerful engine than I have now losing a little due to using a sheet metal intake. But than I hear about the cam with a sheet metal intake can cause idle problems for a street driven car.

It never ends, so I'd just rather someone who knows simply tell me, "get this cam, you'll love it". Just like ARE did when they built my 436, I told them what I want and they picked the perfect cam for me. Couldn't be better.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

In retrospect, I can understand that some people don't have the time for the ole "trial and error" method (which is just another way of saying that they don't really want to bother themselves). However, you assuming that I myself do in fact have the time to "research" this in depth is absolutely hilarious....

To answer your original question though, David Vizard is "Da Man" when it comes to camshaft selection. If you can find it in your busy schedule to browse through a mere five pages of Vizard's explanation, which I'm providing for the readers below. Maybe then you'd understand what Nine Ball might have been getting at, in which I totally agree with....

Nobody is stopping you from approaching the guru's. On the contrary, I feel that the information that PredatorZ shares on a regular basis is unreal. By the way Pred, it's about time they made you a mod, congrats!

In ending, I'll be the mature one here and say good luck with whatever route you decide to take, Quickin....

David Vizard's Camshaft Basics....

Originally Posted by Quickin
I really don't want to or have the time for the "trial and error" method. The guru's do it for a living or make it their serious hobby. I don't want to have my builder do 10 can swaps on my car until I find the one I like. There are experts out there that are in the business of helping people do this so we don't have to. (ie: sponsor list to the right) I just wanted to know who's "the man" to make it faster.

I want my engine to be built once and drive my car. So as GREAT as "Nine *****" recomendation is, it's not so great to me. I have better things to do than to learn a new trade just so I can pick a cam. I drive cars, I don't like to build them, if I did than I'd be one of those experts on engine building.

I think I can tell "the man" what engine I'm haivng built, the heads and intake I'm using, some other details of the build and what the purpose for the car is, and they can tell me pretty darn close to which cam I need.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html
Old 05-13-2007, 09:51 AM
CKZ
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't it make sense to let your builder pick the cam?? You have stated on here multiple times that his engines are far beyond what is displayed on this website.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2 on PREDATOR-Z he is THE MAN to talk to
Old 05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

rofl. this thread is funny.

he says- what do i do?

we say- do research

he says- no, just tell me.

So here it is.....(drum roll)....

get the TR224 cam.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Patrick G was extremely helpful and very thorough.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
I read a book once on how to build an engine fron intake to oil pan. I think if I tried it the engine would explode on initial start-up. It's not that easy..
Engines are easy bro..just getting the right combo is the pain.. I am trying to figure out what to run with my new setup..
Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Take the time and make an honest effort to understand cam specs and how they work, and YOU will be the best cam spec person you know.

This is what i did. Once I figured out what I wanted, I picked the cam lobes/lift I wanted, called comp cams and ordered it with the LSA I wanted...I just installed and degreed it today. It was perfect, just how I ordered it...
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Try Ed Curtis

Last edited by dc96819; 05-14-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CKZ
Doesn't it make sense to let your builder pick the cam?? You have stated on here multiple times that his engines are far beyond what is displayed on this website.
NO. My builder likes to use smaller cams that idle close to stock. He does make amazing power because he builds a perfect engine. But if going a little bigger will net me some more power, than I want it. I hate to keep bugging the **** out of him about it. He'll do whatever I want but I can't tell him what I want because I don't know about cams. I could just say put a huge cam in it, but I don't want that either because it might shake like crazy and than I'll hate it. Its gonna be a street driven car only. If it was a drag car I'd say "**** it, go huge on everything".

He doesn't have a website, he hates the internet, he doesn't even have a computer in his office or at home with internet. Believe it or not.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh, BTW, Ed Curtis sent me all his forms to fill out about my entire car from bumper-to-bumper, he'll be taking care of me for the cam and my valve train for what I want.

My builder is gonna let me be there when he puts everything together, so I'll learn about engine building from him. At least some of the process anyway.

Thanks for the info fellers.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good choice.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Viper
Good choice.
Yes, I can't believe how thorough he is, asking questions about every part of the car, not just the engine and tranny. From weight to body style to gears to exhaust.

Should get the perfect cam.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:26 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Take the time and make an honest effort to understand cam specs and how they work, and YOU will be the best cam spec person you know.
you just decribed what i did figued out mt SCR and DCR and ordered the cam for my setup with the VE's i wanted(funny the guy at comp cams kinda snuffed at me when i said i wanted the cam at +1), he recommended +4