Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which one?

I think I've figured out what I'm going to do with my car and just wanted to get some opinions. I just blew the motor in my car and I'm thinking of going with a short block from texas speed....either there 347 aluminum or the 370 iron block, there both the same price. I'm also going to get a cam from them, either there 228 cam, torquer v.2 or ms3. I'm not going to get the stage 2 heads yet because I can't afford them so I'm just going with the cam.

Which engine and cam would yall go with? Also if I did like the torquer v.2 or higher, do I need to get a ported ls6 oil pump and timing chain? And will my 3500 stall be enough. thanks for any advise
Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tunit
I think I've figured out what I'm going to do with my car and just wanted to get some opinions. I just blew the motor in my car and I'm thinking of going with a short block from texas speed....either there 347 aluminum or the 370 iron block, there both the same price. I'm also going to get a cam from them, either there 228 cam, torquer v.2 or ms3. I'm not going to get the stage 2 heads yet because I can't afford them so I'm just going with the cam.

Which engine and cam would yall go with? Also if I did like the torquer v.2 or higher, do I need to get a ported ls6 oil pump and timing chain? And will my 3500 stall be enough. thanks for any advise
I would do the Iron block 370 with the MS3. This will allow for future expansion, and have great power for the mean time. If the short block does not come with a new oil pump and timing chain, I would recommend a ported one and a new chain.

Good luck with the build.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

more cubes will make a smoother running engine with the same cam (compared to on a 347), and will probably make more torque. and as said will alow for future growth.

downside is the increased weight on the nose of the car with the iron block.

personally i would spend a little more and do the 382ci alum block.

the MS3 would be a nice tame cam for the engine
Old 05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you go with the 347 SB like I did from TSP figure on buying new head bolts. They use 2004+ blocks and GM changed the head bolts to 3 different lengths. Nobody ever told me about it and its bad to have everything you think you need and find out otherwise.You might say this doesn't apply to your post but not having enough supporting mods is why I choose to stay with the 347 instead of one of their bigger cubed shortblocks. So do you have the mods to pull it off? I ran a Torquer V2 with stock heads/3200 vig/3:73s and its a great cam.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im with teke on this one... i say spend just a little bit more money and get the 382.. more cubes will leave you with more paths to choose from. i say instead of the ms4 i would go with the ms4 b/c its the newer one of the two and i heard it outperformes and is smoother also.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm looking at the 347 or the 370 iron block, i don't want to spend any extra for the alum. 383. I pretty much drive my car everyday, what kind of gas mileage could i expect from the 370? I get about 11 or 12 with my current setup. Any other pros or cons of each?