Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mounting holes for starter on ls1 - how much trouble am i in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default mounting holes for starter on ls1 - how much trouble am i in?

there are 2 bolts that hold the starter in. the passenger side bolt appears to bolt into a small square tab (this is from memory when i removed the starter before). that square tab is partially broken off... attached are some pics i grabbed tonight real quick - i have not jacked up the car and looked under there yet. i can't remember what the square tab is attached to - the block? these aren't the best pics but you can see part of the square tab is missing...

please tell me how screwed i am and what options i may have (if any) of fixing it. if it is part of the block - even if i drop the motor is it fixable?

Old 06-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully someone will post up a fix for this, but from what I have read on here it seems that the only fix is a new block. Some say it is from a low voltage causing the starter to "kick back" and break off the tab. Sometimes GM really pisses me off, something as little as this resulting in loss of the block. Complete BS! Hopefully someone will chime in for you with a fix. Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get someone to tig weld a piece of aluminum there for you to fix the problem. you don't need a new block, but you may need to remove it to gain enough room.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM

I too have seen this problem. Not on my car, thank God. The instance I saw it, they had to pull the engine, weld aluminum, drill and tap. It worked for many miles and is still on the road.
Many thanks,
Jim Hall III
Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

JB Weld?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetsCamaro
The instance I saw it, they had to pull the engine, weld aluminum, drill and tap. It worked for many miles and is still on the road.
Many thanks,
Jim Hall III
i'm wondering if that's my worst case.... drop the exhaust, tig weld the corner, drill / tap it..... i wonder if i can find some who can weld that without having to drop the motor...

first i've ever heard of this problem. at least i'm not the only one now...

thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friend of mine hydrolocked his block and broke the starter completly off the block. He pulled the engine and had a local welder to weld the peices back on. The welder is really good with aluminum. He had to weld up one of the holes and re tap it.