Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! Broke a bolt off in the end of my crank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Thats your only option at this point. Hope its easy going for them, and it dosnt cost you a second mortgage...

I was told between $125 and $250, depending on how hard it is to get out and if the threads are fucked. We took a micrometer to the outside of the crank this morning, and to the inside of the powerbond pulley. I don't remember the exact difference off the top of my head but there was no way in hell that pulley was going to go on. I'm kinda pissed off now, it was not the bolts fault, I would say the company that sold me the pulley should have said something about it requiring machining to fit, and I'm trying to decide if I should say something about it or not.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a powerbond. no machining necessary.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a powerbond. no machining necessary.

I have an aftermarket crank.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I have an aftermarket crank.
And an LT1... I'm LTx stoopid.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

And an LT1... I'm LTx stoopid.
I haven't owned an LT based anything in years, I just think its ******* retarded to change your screen name every time you get a new car. If that was the case it would have changed to Mike95ZLT1, Mike94ZLT1 again, Mike99SSLS1, Mike99C5, and so on

It's a 4.00" Eagle LSX crank, with a powerbond pulley.

Last edited by Mike94ZLT1; 06-11-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I gotta admit I'm pretty nervous to hear how bad it is tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, hopefully that turns out well for you friend.

on the name change thing. That's why I changed my name to what it is today. It has nothing to do with what car I own so I don't go through name changes when I get a new/different car.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't owned an LT based anything in years, I just think its ******* retarded to change your screen name every time you get a new car. If that was the case it would have changed to Mike95ZLT1, Mike94ZLT1 again, Mike99SSLS1, Mike99C5, and so on

It's a 4.00" Eagle LSX crank, with a powerbond pulley.
I figured it was a second car... damn, that the first time ive heard of an eagle crank needing to be turned down to accept a pulley...
Old 06-11-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can use a longer bolt, but it MUST be a Grade 8, black, case hardened bolt. It cannot be a Grade 5 or less zinc coated bolt or a piece of all-thread. If you chose to drill it out, make sure to use a center drill to get a start directly in the CENTER of the bolt. Then start with a small drill and work your way up in small increments to the next drill size. The purpose is to drill the bolt thin enough to where you can peel it out WITHOUT damaging the threads in the crank. I cannot stress how important it is to get a start DIRECTLY in the center of the bolt and then drill straight. If the end of the bolt is broke off uneven, grind it flat first. Good luck man, you need it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Third Gear
Yeah, hopefully that turns out well for you friend.

on the name change thing. That's why I changed my name to what it is today. It has nothing to do with what car I own so I don't go through name changes when I get a new/different car.

Lol, hey CF buddy! You know, I had a NBM 99 SS too, that was the car I was saying I should have kept
Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured it was a second car... damn, that the first time ive heard of an eagle crank needing to be turned down to accept a pulley...
Haha, no way am I going to cut a $1000 crank, I'd rather machine a $200 pulley. Honestly, I would rather it all fit like it was supposed to but oh well, too late now.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sunsetta
You can use a longer bolt, but it MUST be a Grade 8, black, case hardened bolt. It cannot be a Grade 5 or less zinc coated bolt or a piece of all-thread. If you chose to drill it out, make sure to use a center drill to get a start directly in the CENTER of the bolt. Then start with a small drill and work your way up in small increments to the next drill size. The purpose is to drill the bolt thin enough to where you can peel it out WITHOUT damaging the threads in the crank. I cannot stress how important it is to get a start DIRECTLY in the center of the bolt and then drill straight. If the end of the bolt is broke off uneven, grind it flat first. Good luck man, you need it.

I appreciate the help/advice but I already took it somewhere, I'm picking it up tomorrow
Old 06-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Those helicoils are a friggin blessing. It worked well for me on my lifter tray bolt. Thanks again for suggesting that!
YOU have that right. As a Army machinist 95% of my jobs have been extracting BROKEN BOLTS. I have put in A LOT of helicoils into the generater brackets on the heads of hmmwv (humvees, or hummers). Broken Extracters SUCK *** to get out but most likely it was cause it was drilled crooked. Hopefully your machine shop don't charge a lot to do it, its a fairly easy job WITH the RIGHT TOOLS. But leave it to the Army to buy the CHEAPEST carbide drill bits imaginable. One last thing with the helicoils I've noticed is that you can use them on most holes but some stuff that takes a beating they wont last. ROSEANNS ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sunsetta
....If you chose to drill it out, make sure to use a center drill to get a start directly in the CENTER of the bolt. Then start with a small drill and work your way up in small increments to the next drill size. The purpose is to drill the bolt thin enough to where you can peel it out WITHOUT damaging the threads in the crank. I cannot stress how important it is to get a start DIRECTLY in the center of the bolt and then drill straight. If the end of the bolt is broke off uneven, grind it flat first. Good luck man, you need it.
Your right it is important to start in the center BUT Most people that don't have a lot of practice with it will most likely not keep it centered when they start drilling. In turn when they try to turn it out with a extractor, they snaps it off cause its not centered. Thats why I get so many jobs with broken extractors cause the mechanics seen it done before they thinks its just that simple. You sound like you got some good experience with it and that cool. I feel that if you don't have a good background with it and you have to funds just pay a machine shop for the work cause if you mess it up it could end up costing you A LOT more money.

Last edited by Kavslayer; 06-11-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've gotten broken ez outs aroken taps out by bashing them with a centerpunch they are so hard that they just break up and you blow out the bits. But then you still have an off center hole lol
Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Haha, no way am I going to cut a $1000 crank, I'd rather machine a $200 pulley. Honestly, I would rather it all fit like it was supposed to but oh well, too late now.
What about the crank timing sprocket? That fit without issue?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about the crank timing sprocket? That fit without issue?

Fit perfectly! Going to go pick up my engine now, I'll report back when I get it.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh,
I don't know why Eagle crank snouts are over size. I know the crank dampers I have used usually have a note when used with those cranks. Hone pulley or damper to size.
Good luck
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had this happen before and I was able to stick my finger in there, press on the broken bolt and back it out. The reason I was able to do this being that without the bolt head there is no pressure on the threads due to the stretching force of the bolt. I damn near **** a twinkie at first at the sight of the broken bolt in the crank and my initial reaction was the same as yours to get the EZ Out going. Just for ***** I stuck my finger in there and voila the damn thing backed right out. The only thing that could prevent this same method from working is a galled/crossthreaded bolt or a tapered crank thread. Moral of the story is don't always jump to the most forceful method before exhausting every other option; I was about 5 minutes from EZ Outing before I tried this...
Old 06-29-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fit perfectly! Going to go pick up my engine now, I'll report back when I get it.
What happend??? I read this last night and i'm interested to hear how it all turned out??? I hope for the best as I'm getting ready to install a powerbond here shortly!!!!

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Broke a bolt off in the end of my crank!