Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed (PRC) 5.3L stage 2.5 heads -- what cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Graduate, get a job, save money, and then mod.
That's what I'm thinking right now. I have about $2k saved up right now aside from my other savings for college tuition/books/food/etc., but will probably start the build-up nest summer at the earliest. I have numerous scholarships (around $24k) and receive plenty of financial aid. My parents won't be getting raises anytime soon (haven't in 5 years) so the financial aid should stay the same. Next summer I should be able to land an engineering intership making around $10-$20 an hour. Funds won't really be a problem in 1-2 years. It's better for me to spend the money anyways because the less funds that show up on the FAFSA the better. The less money in my name the better in terms of financial aid. I could always throw it in my grandparent's name, but what fun would that be. I will only have around $15k in loans to pay off when I get out of school anyways. This is at a University that costs $38k+ per year to attend. I don't think I'm doing that bad
Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

i have a simialar setup but my 60' foots blow... right now i have a 224/224 114 cam with ported 5.3 heads. now that i have 4.10's and tires hopefully i'll see better times, but anyways i'm prob. gonna swap in a tsp 233/239 114 cam, i heard that the 224/230 cam works well also
Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I went with the Torquer V3 myself. Just ordered yesterday. From what I have seen this cam has a nice flat torque curve and also puts down nice hp. We shall see!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chae
That's what I'm thinking right now. I have about $2k saved up right now aside from my other savings for college tuition/books/food/etc., but will probably start the build-up nest summer at the earliest. I have numerous scholarships (around $24k) and receive plenty of financial aid. My parents won't be getting raises anytime soon (haven't in 5 years) so the financial aid should stay the same. Next summer I should be able to land an engineering intership making around $10-$20 an hour. Funds won't really be a problem in 1-2 years. It's better for me to spend the money anyways because the less funds that show up on the FAFSA the better. The less money in my name the better in terms of financial aid. I could always throw it in my grandparent's name, but what fun would that be. I will only have around $15k in loans to pay off when I get out of school anyways. This is at a University that costs $38k+ per year to attend. I don't think I'm doing that bad
When I started college I had an 01 Mustang GT with a few mods and couldn't decide if I wanted to mod all-out or just wait until I graduated and got a job. It was hard to hold out, but after 3 more years I graduated as a mechanical engineer and got a great starting job. I lived at home for 6 more months and saved every dime. Time to mod that thing! Well..... I traded the Stang in for a 2003 Z06 and paid the rest off with the money I saved. That's sort of mod I guess.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started college I had an 01 Mustang GT with a few mods and couldn't decide if I wanted to mod all-out or just wait until I graduated and got a job. It was hard to hold out, but after 3 more years I graduated as a mechanical engineer and got a great starting job. I lived at home for 6 more months and saved every dime. Time to mod that thing! Well..... I traded the Stang in for a 2003 Z06 and paid the rest off with the money I saved. That's sort of mod I guess.

A heavily modded Mustang..is..well..Still a Mustang..
Nothing says "I've arrived" like a 'vette.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

With me graduating in 2010 and the new Camaro coming out in 2009 who knows what the future will hold (2010 Z28 ). I think I'll try to hold out until at least the summer of my senior year in college.

P.S. Just checked out two local guys' cars. One had an LME 370 cu. in. motor and the other one had an LME 408 cu. in. motor. So many options Once the car has a built rear, a clutch to handle the power and the suspension to put it all to the ground anything is possible. It's all in how much I want to spend I guess.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BYE RICE

A heavily modded Mustang..is..well..Still a Mustang..
Nothing says "I've arrived" like a 'vette.
Yeah my cousin had a heavily modified 2000 Mustang GT (intake, x-pipe, Pro 5.0, 4.10's, Nitto DR's, LCA's...). He ran a best of like 14.0 at 100 MPH. My stock 1999 Z28 would have handed his car's *** to him.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MVDCGTO
I went with the Torquer V3 myself. Just ordered yesterday. From what I have seen this cam has a nice flat torque curve and also puts down nice hp. We shall see!
First of all, congratulations Who are you going to get it tuned by? Be sure to post up dyno numbers/track times when you're done. Also a sound/video clip would be nice
Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chae
First of all, congratulations Who are you going to get it tuned by? Be sure to post up dyno numbers/track times when you're done. Also a sound/video clip would be nice
Probably Performance Specialties in MD. As soon as its done I'll post my numbers.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

well im starting to tear down my TA today to install PRC 5.3 stg 2.5 heads and torquer 2 cam i ordered earlier this week i'll let you know how it turns out when its all done, i go on vaca next week and wont get the heads till i think wednesday so it'll probably be 2- 3 weeks till its all buttoned up, btw its effin' hot in NJ went outside @ 8:30 and by 10:30 in the morning im sweat my fat *** off, looks like ill be callin it quits around noon dont wanna get frustrated supposed to be like 92 with 500% humidity, thats what i get livin between a swamp and a river
Old 07-19-2007, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well I went to New Era Performance today to set up an appointment to get the car tuned for $275 after I install my LS6 intake manifold this weekend. July 31st the car will receive a full dyno tune. I won't be adding any more bolt-ons (power related). Any future re-tunes will only be $100 plus $60/hr. for any street tuning. At most there would be less than an hour of street tuning required.

I will upgrade the rear suspension (adjustable LCA's, relocation brackets, adjustable PHR, single sway bar) sometime after the engine upgrades. The 25% Powerbond underdrive pulley I recently bought from the SDPC group purchase will have to wait until the cam install.

I was quoted around $1500 installed for the following
- "Street Sweeper" camshaft (236/242 .605"/.609" 110 LSA)
- double roller adjustable timing chain set
- ported stock oil pump
- dual valve springs, titanium retainers, etc.
- hardened cromoly pushrods
- gaskets, etc.
- intstallation
- full dyno tune

This set-up has been known to put down over 400+ RWHP with the stock heads. I figure since I am on a budget that I will go cam-only first and see if it is enough hp/torque for my desires/goals. This won't increase power so much that I will need a 12-bolt or 9" rearend (as long as I stick with the stock 3.42 gears and stock-sized street tires).

I can't wait until the cam upgrade. I may be able to do it at the end of August/beginning of September. More than likely though I will wait until next June when I receive another $2000 for my annual scholarship. It is a check written out in my name so I can do as I please with it. This will allow for some suspension upgrades to get all the power to the ground.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Started a new thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...93#post7457593
Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 pages & you went cam only?!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BYE RICE

18 pages & you went cam only?!
For now. I'll go cam-only next spring/summer and put the heads on the summer after that. I go to a $38k/yr. university for engineering so the car comes second to my education. I need a cheap laptop and textbooks for this semester. The heads can wait.

After talking to New Era Performance I'll go with LS6 heads instead of 5.3L heads because of the "D" style exhaust ports and some other reasons. They are only a few hundred more over the 5.3L castings and will be better for my goals in the end. I may have them hand port a set or just go with some Stage I or Stage 1.5 CNC Ported LS6 heads. Cam-only for now and the heads later is my plan. Who knows what will happen once I graduate in 2010. I could end up building a larger cu. in. motor or may end up buying a 2010 Z28. My plans are up in the air at this point. I figured cam-only is my best option on a budget at 19-20 years old. From what Mike at New Era Performance said this is what most people on a budget end up doing.

EDIT: it's only 9 pages on my computer

Quick Reply: Texas Speed (PRC) 5.3L stage 2.5 heads -- what cam?