Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8 Rocker on Intake only???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 02:57 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 Rocker on Intake only???

Curious if it is feasible to use 1.8 Rockers on the Intake side only of a straight cut cam so it acts more like a Reverse Split? Lookign at some cams and then wanting to use Nitrous, like the LS6 cam and then use 1.8's onthe intake only to give it the nitrous bias? TIA.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: 1.8 Rocker on Intake only???

Are you talking about the exhaust valves? You could do it with the right parts but it may just be easier to do a conventional split pattern cam. Lots of good proven grinds out there for N2O.

Nitrous and F/I setups seem to like a slight split pattern cam best with more exhaust duration than intake to make up for the smaller valve on the exhaust side.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Restricted User

And for some reason I thought it was the other way around, damn me. NE way. If I had access to a free cam that was a straight grind, then I could just use the higher ratio on the exhaust side to give the biasness right? Or will it cause undo stress on the cam etc.....??? TIA.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah...to some extent. But there are a few things.

1) A number of cams out there say DO NOT use higher ratio rockers due to the already fast ramp rates.

2) You will get more lift with the 1.8 ratio but the duration will be close to what it was with the 1.7 (cam won't "start" opening sooner, just open farther/faster).

If you can get away with the higher lift, why not just use it on both and get that much more performance out of it.