Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1Tick

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1Tick

I guess it's just nature of the beast (cammed motor that is) to have some extra noise. I have a tick that's RPM dependent, but is inaudible at idle. Checked the wires today, and the MSDs were loose, AGAIN. Right now I have 3 stock and 5 MSD... I was told it's not a big deal, so that's why I'm mix and matching. I tightened the AIR things again (what a pain in the ***, I'm gonna have them delete AIR when I get the car tuned and just block the things off), and my header bolts will not move unless I give TONS of force (not too interested in breaking a bolt). Tick doesn't get any louder or quieter no matter how I drive (only audible once moving, never when still... odd), oil pressure is dynamite, no metal in the oil (just changed), so I guess that narrows it down to... (any ideas?) Car feels great after having more miles on it, I can feel some boost in the midrange and it's running pretty rich too still, not to mention it drives almost exactly like stock Haven't ragged on it, definitely don't want to do that until it's tuned (wisdom gained from previous cars owned). Any thoughts? I know it's hard to say without a vid, I'll try to get one, but it's very hard to capture because I can't even hear it all the time myself.

-J
Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar noise. Mine was also RPM dependant, never changed in volume (Well, was slower at idle so that made it "quieter" or less frequent). No metal in the oil, but here's what I found while doing a cam swap:

I'd do yourself a favor and check your pushrods while you're at it.
While I don't expect everyone that has a tick to have the same problem, checking is much easier than losing a motor if a broken piece falls.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I swapped in some Comp pushrods when I did the swap, it's worth checking out when I get some free time over the weekend. My stock ones looked surprisingly good though, even missing a few shifts. From reading tons of posts I have a dreadful suspicion that it's lifter tick, but it's not there just sitting in the driveway (or else it's so damn quiet that I can't hear it). Even did the torque of the rockers, 3 rotations, check torque again (which they were all the same still). I guess if it's lifters that's a good excuse to buy some heads and do it all at once

-J
Old 06-14-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

This is the best I can do with a vid... naturally you can't hear it (it's THAT faint), and I look like I've lost my mind If it's THAT quiet, well maybe it's not an issue.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/49278...4d0118bf2e.htm

-J
Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's had a slight tick in it since I had a H/C install 4 years ago. I have beat the hell out of it at the track since then with no problems. My brother just had the G5X3 installed with the supporting valve train and it ticks also. I think your just hearing the nature of the beast IMO.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Yea that's what I figure... don't know many people around here with internally modded LSx cars so it's tough to just go out and find people to ask, "is this normal?" Thanks, just replaced my 02s today, no more code, just the P0300. Going to get tuned tomorrow

-J
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well the noise has gotten progressively more obnoixious. It's not a banging at all, still a really obnoxious sounding exhaust leak. I got the car home after work today, and listened to the engine. Besides the normal ticking and ****, when i lightly revved via the TB, I heard a real loud disgusting ticking coming from what sounded like the water pump (what the ****). I then just realized, wait a sec the headgaskets are down there But, my temps never fluctuate, even sitting in traffic with the A/C blasting, so my gut tells me no on that. Oil pressure is good, just checked the oil, it's not eating any and I've put almost 600 miles on my cam swap, not much WOT besides the dyno (it's a daily and going to and from work there's not exactly much open road). Car drives fine, pulls fine, etc... But it's hearing the noise very LOUDLY in the engine bay that has me worried (then again, it could be an EGR/AIR tube on its way out as I've seen happen to some pacesetter users ). Before you jump in and tell me to sell the car and buy a Hyundai if I want quiet, I'm merely looking for ideas as to what this could be. When I do the poly mounts I already plan on getting new header gaskets since I'm gonna drop the headers to do them. To those of you who had a EGR/AIR thing snap off, what was the tell tale sign? My EGR has been blocked since day one, but the AIR pipes beyond not fitting great, are torqued rather... aggressively. BTW at idle the car sounds completely silent (minus the chop and duals), with even the lightest throttle applied it goes bonkers. Thanks.

-J
Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

BTW did some searching (found a thread from back in 2002, weird how the search works even when it wasn't supposed), and found someone with a similar and it was suggested that it might have been his AIR check valves...? A while back I had a code pop up for the passenger side Air thinger (black UFO looking thing, can't remember code). Is it possible it finally **** its pants and it's trying to tell me to remove it?

-J