Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There A Solution To The ''Sewing Machine" Sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is how my valve train sounds, but the car was not warm at all. i think the car was running for about 30 seconds.. i have a damn bird that lives under the hood and i can not pin point that noise

Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other ideas? I am going to measure all of the pushrod lengs again.
What is the proper procedure on measuring your pushrods?

Kane
Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kaneman
Any other ideas? I am going to measure all of the pushrod lengs again.
What is the proper procedure on measuring your pushrods?

Kane

did you hear my video clip?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmm funny thing Torchd mine is quiet when its cold. Mine usually gets loudest after I ring the **** out of it. But I get sounds like that every now and then. Might wanna try a K&N oil filter bro if your using a sub par filter that allows drainback that can make all sorts of ruckus on start up.

Kaneman you use an adjustable pushrod and set the length to zero then measure and add the desired amount of pre load. Lots of info in other threads here regarding this. My local LS1 shop advised a half to one turn pre load at torque spec. I am at 1 turn and its .50 lash. Might seem a tad low to some but it seems to hold together so far and I bounce off the limiter frequently @ 6900
Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kaneman
I have the same issue. I just upgraded my lifters to the Cadilac high performance lifters hoping it would go away. It made no change to the sound. I was thinking windage tray but I know it was clearnanced. I have attached the sound that my car makes does your sound like it? I have tried everything. My car has over 5k miles with a few track passes and lots of high speed rolls. I figured it would have blown up by now. There is no metal shavings on my drain plug. I am just tired of the noise. The car runs great I just hate how it sounds.

http://members.***.net/kane-forum/enginenoise.wma

Thanks,

Kane
thats exactly how my bone stock......40K km LS1 sounds?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

As stated previously, if you are running a higher lift cam with aggressive ramps on the lobes - you will NEVER get rid of the 'sewing machine' noise entirely - even if the preload/lash is dead on.

A lot of the noise comes from that fact that the valves are snapping shut much faster than before and spring pressures are so much higher to work with lift.

And personally, I did find it to be true as to level of noise in relation to oil used.

With Mobil1 - noise was very evident, Royal Purple - quieted down some, Castrol GC 0W-30 - noticeably more quiet.

And I had my valvetrain set up correctly by Mike @ RapidMotorsports
Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Launching!

We found it is not my valve terraine. We are going to pull the motor probably after a few more tests. I will post the final solution when all said and done.

Kane
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

I'd be interested to hear what it was
Old 09-21-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldn say my car souinds like an sewing machine.. but and its not nearly as much as you guys.. but i still hate it.. reminds me of an diesel
Old 09-21-2007, 07:48 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, lets look at this logically. You are hearing 1. the combustion process 2. the valves snapping shut. Once you go with a more aggressive cam / stronger springs, you will hear the valves closing more pronounced.

Now, add a long tube header that is thinner than the cast iron manifolds, and now the valve closing because a tuned instrument with the header acting like an megaphone amplifying the sound.

Granted, a slightly loose header bolt with a subsequent exhaust leak will cause the sound to be more pronounced, but it's really just something you end up getting used to. Mind you, it goes with out saying that you need to make sure you dot your i's and cross your t's with setting up the valvetrain.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Guys, lets look at this logically. You are hearing 1. the combustion process 2. the valves snapping shut. Once you go with a more aggressive cam / stronger springs, you will hear the valves closing more pronounced.

Now, add a long tube header that is thinner than the cast iron manifolds, and now the valve closing because a tuned instrument with the header acting like an megaphone amplifying the sound.

Granted, a slightly loose header bolt with a subsequent exhaust leak will cause the sound to be more pronounced, but it's really just something you end up getting used to. Mind you, it goes with out saying that you need to make sure you dot your i's and cross your t's with setting up the valvetrain.
so how do you explain it happening on a bone stock motor with 40K km on it?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 PM

how would that happen to a bone stock motor haven't heard of that...
what i have heard though is that the browns can't even snap the football right to kick a field goal..im depressed over their idiocy.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Exhaust leaks sound very similar on these engines as well. Especially if its at or near the head. Worth checking. If not spin around and see Dave and Canadian Performance he'll set you straight hes a great guy
Old 09-24-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I still have full warranty......I have even tried the GM EOS additive, didn't help? It's not piston slap, deffinately valve train noise.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Brown
If I had to guess, possibly bent pushrod or collapsed lifter.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
did you hear my video clip?
Your car sounds like a normal cammed LS1, you have 2 choices: get used to it or put your stock cam back in. There is nothing wrong with your valvetrain by the sound of that clip, car sounds good though.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brad8266
Your car sounds like a normal cammed LS1, you have 2 choices: get used to it or put your stock cam back in. There is nothing wrong with your valvetrain by the sound of that clip, car sounds good though.

**** man this thread is still alive LOL

Brad i dont even hear it anymore. I got used to it. Still the exact same noise and NOT getting louder.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

OMG this thread is old, I didnt look at the dates untill you mentioned it. Hows the car been treating you anyway Jonas?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, I feel a lot better about my sewing machine now. Kind of like my wives old Singer machine. I had more noise with my first cam. A bunch less now. It's something you have to get used too I think.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brad8266
OMG this thread is old, I didnt look at the dates untill you mentioned it. Hows the car been treating you anyway Jonas?
LOL.....

Car has been real good to me. No problems at all. Just need more TQ under the curve but that is about it.

What about your car? Any times with the new set up yet???