Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision on what to build... money IS an object

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decision on what to build... money IS an object

I know, there's no replacement for displacement. That said, please understand that I'm not going to be racing this car and winning any money, and a 347 does plenty when properly set up.

I was going to build a 370 but hate the idea of the extra weight. When I was looking for either a 6.0 iron or 5.7 LS1/LS6 block, I found a guy who has an Eagle 4" stroker crank (used) and an LS1 block, both for a very acceptable price. So without a doubt I'll buy them provided the machine shop gives them the thumbs up. The plan was originally for me to just rebuild my shortblock. Period. Keep it cheap. But the price of the crank and block make it impossible to pass up.

But now the question is what to build. At the moment I don't have the funds to replace my current heads (Livernois stg.2 243 heads milled .030"), cam (G5X3 on a 112), or intake (LS6 intake). I know these would work on a 383 if I went with deep valve reliefs, or dished pistons. But would they also work on a 408 if I went dished? I could sell the LS1 block for the same price that I can get a 6.0L iron block. Either would set me up nicely to go FI with a D1SC in a year or so and then swap the heads. Actually I guess I could sell my heads now and buy the GM setup if I went with a 408, but my cam would surely be too small to do much. Not to mention I've had so much down time this Summer that I don't wanna let it sit much more.

As you can tell, I'm pretty lost with what to do. Any HELPFUL thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.