Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling ls1

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling ls1

Is there a thread or good how to on how to pull a ls1 out of an fbody? Ive got a 2000 z28 with a spun bearing and am sizing up the project. Thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not that bad, two options, out the bottom or top. Drop the tranny first (it makes it much easier). I recently pulled mine out and had it done in probably 8hrs taking my sweet time by myself (out the top). I'm sure if you look around you can find a how-to around here.

William
Old 07-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Launching!

i couldnt find one but i know there is if anyone has a threat or website that someone has cataloged their experience please let me know, never pulled a motor before and wanna do it the easiest way possible. Thanks guys
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Launching!

guess nobody here has pulled an engine with pics??? crazy cuz i can find pics on how to change a door window motor but no engine pull.. hrmmm
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/729768-2000-ss-tear-down-pics.html
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MemphisZ28
guess nobody here has pulled an engine with pics??? crazy cuz i can find pics on how to change a door window motor but no engine pull.. hrmmm
Maybe they just don't want to share them with you? Hmmm
Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Launching!

lol is that sposed to be a mean comment? im just sayin its weird the stuff theres pics for and not for. ls1tech seems to have alot of angry little people on here who dont want to help and just be smart asses, and a like most GTO owners ive met, you fit the bill
Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Launching!

also, im sorry, it looks like after talking to a freind of a friend at comp cams i might be pulling it from the top, i hear its easier and you can leave the tranny in. Has anyone else done this, any pointers or pics on that method? Thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definately out the bottom. I had my powertrain assembly removed from the vehicle in under 2 hrs on my first try. Will Handzels book as mentioned in the linked post above is worth the money, but there are a few small inaccuracies in it - but they are obvious.

I don't have step by step pictures, but here is the result:

I did mine with a lift, but many have done the same procedure without. Once you get to the part where the car need to come up, use an engine hoist to raise the car by the upper radiator support.

The job is not hard by any means. I looks VERY intimidating, but if you're capable of a brake job or installing a set of headers this is within your capabilities. Having a second person on hand is HIGHLY recommended!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Launching!

marc you're an *******...damnit, i'm just jealous because you have a lift and i have a crappy one car garage...
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Launching!

its just 10 bolts total i think then all the obviosu crap like radiator hoses etc, ive done it once with a friend who had a lift but was more of the help than the one who completely knew how. we had it out in 1 hour, it got rebuilt in 1 week and was back in the car in 2 hours ready to run with a helacious cam
Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by supersickss
its just 10 bolts total i think
NO WAY! There are quite a few more bolts that need to be removed than 10.

Oh, and about Handzels book's errors. There is no need to disconnect the oil pressure sending unit as he states. Also, there are 2 large ground cables, one behind the alternator, one near the passenger side motor mount that must be unbolted from the block.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Launching!

ok ****, i was going to do it out the top but that looks so easy in comparison bc to do out the top you get to leave everything in the car including the tranny BUT have to disconnect everything and strip the motor while still in the car. my question is with this method does the AC system have to be recharged and what not.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MemphisZ28
ok ****, i was going to do it out the top but that looks so easy in comparison bc to do out the top you get to leave everything in the car including the tranny BUT have to disconnect everything and strip the motor while still in the car. my question is with this method does the AC system have to be recharged and what not.
Everything is very easy to access using the method. Once out, there is no back breaking leaning, hard to reach components, or anything physically demanding. LOTS of access. And the AC compressor is merely unbolted from the block, without disconnecting the lines. It stays with the body. Look closely at my first pic, and you can see the compressor hanging by a coat hanger.

Removing from the top is a lot more work. The AC condenser and radiator must be removed, the intake must be removed as well as the entire accessory drive. Its a major PITA removing it from the top, as the engine must be tilted past 45 degrees and turned as it raises. Even with trans removed its not much easier.

The AC and power steering systems are not opened by removing from the bottom, but 2 brake lines must be removed from the ABS HCU, so the brakes will need to be bled - it does not empty the MC though!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Launching!

just went and bought the book as reccomended. thanks guys this looks like it wont be too bad with step by step instructions just gotta find an engine hoist to borrow to lift off the car