Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke at start up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Smoke at start up.

Well i started the car after about 3 days and it blew out a puff of white smoke. I drove about 5 miles parked it for 5 mins and it blew out a puff of smoke about half the size. I tryed it again, and no smoke. I asked my buddie and he said valve seal leak? Then he said it just could be because it sat for a few days.

any ideas. mods are in sig. I have about 100 miles on the set up. car has 62000 miles on it.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White smoke is caused by water or anti freeze usually steam. If the smoke stayed in a small cloud as it floated up it is most likely blue smoke easily mistaken for white, blue smoke is caused by oil entering the cylinder versus black smoke which is caused by rich fuel conditions.

Side story: I replaced an shortblock in a friends Mustang a few years back with a DSS brand short block and he refused to get his TFS heads freshened before I put the long block together. About 2 months later he was smoking like a train,m I kid you not. His problem was valve guide caused by a valve stem geometry issue caused by the casting in those TFS heads specific to Ford Small blocks back then. I think TFS has since fixed their twisted wedge for Ford.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i been testing it all day and the oli smoke i got was those 2 starts after sitting for a few days, I had my buddie drive it under boost while i watched. It didnt smoke. none at all. Could it just have had little oil in from sitting?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely seals if it only smokes after sitting.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

is that bad?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not great, but it's not catastrophic. To replace the seals you need to pull the valve covers, pull the springs, and replace the seals. It's a bit involved, but nothing crazy.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

First confirm what the smoke is - what does it smell like, does it dissipate like steam or float like smoke, etc.

Second, the most likely cause of smoke on start up after sitting is;
Valve guide seals
rocker bolts
PCV

I don't see head work in your signature so rocker bolts are not probable.
The pcv could be letting oil in the intake which runs down when it sits and then burns in a puff of smoke.
Valve guide seals will usually also show some smoke on long hard deceleration.

Assuming you check and it is oil, try a nice down hill deceleration to see if you get any smoke, if not, pull the trottle body and check the intake for oil sitting on the bottom.