Sponsored by:

ways to check ptv clearance?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ways to check ptv clearance?!

besides turnin the motor by hand?

im gonna do my big *** trex cam swap within a few days and wanna check it without pullin the heads?
any help here guys.

thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
besides turnin the motor by hand?

im gonna do my big *** trex cam swap within a few days and wanna check it without pullin the heads?
any help here guys.

thanks
Im not sure the right technique but I dont think you want to turn it over by hand. Even if you did that and it seemed to clear but it was a **** hair away all it takes is to bang the limiter for a second and the valves could be making love with your pistons
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes you do turn it by hand for the PTVC check, you want to make sure you have enough clearance (.080 intake/.100 exhaust) that way if you do float a valve a litte bit or overrev the engine your valves still wont crash. I highly recommend that you use those minimum clearances but I can tell you now that on stock heads those large cams that are out there do not meet those clearances.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/fundamenta...ve/index.shtml Read the section about the spring method.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

You can also put on some very light springs on one cylinder, that you can push the valve open by hand. Place a dial indicator on the rocker or retainer, and turn the motor over (BY HAND). (ALSO, REMOVE ALL SPARK PLUGS, AND HAVE ALL ROCKERS OFF EXCEPT FOR ONE CYLINDER) Pay close when coming up on top dead center. Push on the rocker arm and see how much travel you have. The valve reatainer will either bottom out on the guide, or it will hit the piston. Turn just a few degrees at a time when close to top dead center and measure.
This way, you don't have to pull the head off. You will need all the tools that you normally use for changing valve springs with the heads on.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

anything else?