Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use pennzoil platinum? (and piston slap question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone use pennzoil platinum? (and piston slap question)

I had been using the GC 0w-30, then it was time for an oil change and no place around me had any more GC, so I have some M1 5-30 in there. The plus on that is that it's readily available almost everywhere, but my motor is a good bit noisier now, and I don't think it's all in my head. I had searched and actually found equal amounts of people who both love M1, and those who absolutely hate it and say it's too thin. I had sent Patman a few PMs and got some info, probably gonna try the Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 next time, since Amsoil and Redline, the two others recommended aren't available locally. I prefer stuff that's available in the store because it makes it that much easier if for some reason I need to go grab an extra quart. In case it matters, I have 1k miles on my cam swap, and when I changed the oil on friday there was ZERO metal shavings on the drain plug (which made me feel good for 110k miles on the car), just some leftover assembly lube from the cam. Car ate almost no oil with the GC, pressure is a solid 60psi on COLD startup (I don't mean when it's 90% humidity at 745am when I leave for work), after running for a while it's ~42psi or so, and I'm using an ACDelco standard filter.

Cliffs: Anyone use pennzoil platinum? My piston slap with the M1 now sounds like a gnome is in there smacking a spoon against a frying pan.

-J
Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pennzoil Platinum seems to be the next "readily available" choice after Amsoil. I do use it in my other car & may use it in the LS6. Haven't had any issues using PP. You can probably find some Pennzoil Platinumc UOA's on BITOG.com. Patman is an excellent source for what is producing good UOA's in LSX powered cars. Sounds to me like Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is a good choice.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a lot for the info! I've been on BITOG.com a good bit reading up and whatnot as well...

LS6 miata? How much does that weigh??

Found out tonight at dinner my brother in law is an Amsoil dealer anyhow That's rather ironic.

-J
Old 07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used PP..my car did seem to consume a little more than usual..but i had no piston slap on start up...Mind you i do live in orlando florida..so when i start my car in the morning its usually in the upper 80's to low 90's already..so i dont know how it would react if i was in colder weather..My last oil change i used Amsoil 5w30....and so far i have no piston slap..and my consumption has slowed down a lot..so i'll prolly stick with the Amsoil..If your brother in-law is a dealer he can prolly give you a good price on amsoil. I do use the PP in my fathers truck still..and do 6-7K mile oil changes..I definately think its a good oil, and when Advance Auto has there buy one get one sale..it comes out to like $2.70 a quart

Quick Reply: Anyone use pennzoil platinum? (and piston slap question)