Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anyway to tell what's causing engine ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:28 PM
Teching In

Default Is there anyway to tell what's causing engine ticking?

I have an '02 LS-1 in my RX-7 and it's started a rather loud ticking. I'm sure that it's not exhaust but that's all I know at this time. Is there a way to tell a lifter or valve tick from a bad rod or piston pin? it ticks loudest when under a slight load or at idle. It gets better when I'm getting on it and more so than just the exhaust "covering up" the sound. I've driven it for about 50 or so miles since it started and it is getting worse with time. I have stopped driving it until I know.
The car has a comp cams 222/224 cam and valve springs in it. It would be nice to not tear down the engine to find out if it's just lifters or something small like that. Thanks for any help or info.
Stan
Old 07-20-2007 | 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you don't want to hear this but it's just the nature of some of the LS series engines to do this.

One of the reasons, that I subscribe to, has to do with oiling of the lifters. It seems that when the engine gets hot that oil will bleed off from the lifter bores and not allow the lifter to stay fully pumped.

That reason sounds as good as any. BTW, I replaced all the lifters in my engine with Melings and it still does it.
Old 07-20-2007 | 05:13 PM
Teching In

Well, that's certainly depressing. So run it till it goes boom eh? I think I'll try changing lifters and pushrods then rev it till it blows or not.
Stan
Old 07-20-2007 | 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually I know a lot of people who solved that problem by switching to German Castrol 0W30. Maybe look into it
Old 07-20-2007 | 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by somws6bird
Actually I know a lot of people who solved that problem by switching to German Castrol 0W30. Maybe look into it
Actually, that's good advice! I've tried dino oil and it helps until it starts to break down and then the ticking comes back. It is however a good "interim" measure to quiet the engine.
Old 07-20-2007 | 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by somws6bird

funny it seems to go both ways. Some people don't have tick, and start using GC and get tick. Some people have bad tick and GC makes it go away.