Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figuring out cam to go with PRC 2.5 5.3L heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
That really sucks that they won't give their specs. I'm sure they had to lose some potential customers there. I know I won't go with the MS3 though. But I was thinking of going with the X2. My buddy back home ran with this cam only and hit 400rwhp with just headers and lid. It was on a a4, no pulley, no tb mod. I'm still searching for others. If anyone has others please post your results esp. track results.
MS3 is a great cam, if you are looking for dyno hp or top end power. There are places for such a cam, larger inch motors, drag only setups, top end racers. I know several f-bodies who bought the "bottom of the page cam" (sorry old school terms) and made great hp but on the street, where most of us spend most of our time, they are slower than smaller cammed cars. However they dominate on the upper end of highway racing. Again to each their own.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

When I had my tr224 I raced my buddy when he had the ms3 and you can literally see when he was in his range. He would slowly pull on me and then when he gets in his range he just starts pulling hard. I didn't like that. I'm not good story teller but thats what happened. I want that instant pull, not later. My buddy got a different car and had the car had a ms3 and actually got rid of it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

That really sucks that they won't give their specs. I'm sure they had to lose some potential customers there. I know I won't go with the MS3 though. But I was thinking of going with the X2. My buddy back home ran with this cam only and hit 400rwhp with just headers and lid. It was on a a4, no pulley, no tb mod. I'm still searching for others. If anyone has others please post your results esp. track results.
Here are some cams similar to what you've already mentioned that will work without flycutting the pistons:

G5X1: 228/232
G5X2: 232/240
FM13: 230/232
FM14: 232/234
TSP XS-Series: 232/234 (TV2)
TSP XS-Series: 233/239
TSP X-Series: 237/242 (MS3)

Most of these have around .600" of lift and are on a 110-114 LSA. You could always have someone like New Era Performance put together a custom cam for your specific goals. That would be your best option in my opinion. It is only $450 and is designed by Ed Curtis of Flowtech Induction (out in Rhode Island). Here are some of their offerings: http://www.flowtechinduction.com/packages.htm. Contact Mike at New Era Performance and he can set you up with a perfect street/strip combo tailored to your specific application/goals. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chae
You could always have someone like New Era Performance put together a custom cam for your specific goals. That would be your best option in my opinion. It is only $450 and is designed by Ed Curtis of Flowtech Induction (out in Rhode Island). Here are some of their offerings: http://www.flowtechinduction.com/packages.htm. Contact Mike at New Era Performance and he can set you up with a perfect street/strip combo tailored to your specific application/goals. Good luck.
Contact Ed directly, dont go through a middle man if you can avoid it. Also if you are the type to always want the biggest, and in your mind baddest, thing out there dont call Ed. He is much more oriented into giving you a cam to suit your needs and have good under the curve power. Trust me, I already went this route.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I've done some searches with the g5x2 paired with the 5.3l heads and seen really good results. The threads were 4 years old also. So I'm sure with technology and all this combo will work great.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MVDCGTO
Contact Ed directly, dont go through a middle man if you can avoid it. Also if you are the type to always want the biggest, and in your mind baddest, thing out there dont call Ed. He is much more oriented into giving you a cam to suit your needs and have good under the curve power. Trust me, I already went this route.
In my opinion what good are peak only numbers unless the car is a 100% track car. In my case I will be going with a custom cam from New Era (designed by Ed Curtis) because they are 10 minutes down the road and will be installing the cam and doing the tuning. I'd rather have the power under the curve even if it is a trade-off for 5-10HP on the top end.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

I've done some searches with the g5x2 paired with the 5.3l heads and seen really good results. The threads were 4 years old also. So I'm sure with technology and all this combo will work great.
Should be good for around 450 RWHP from the threads that I've seen. You will want to upgrade your rear to a 12-bolt or 9-inch at that point if you will be running anything other than street tires. Also the 4L60-E will be on borrowed time from what I've heard from the automatic guys. Look into a rebuild or a 4L80-E/TH-350/TH-400 if you think you will be making serious power later on (> 500 RWHP). If you have a 6-speed just upgrade to a RAM Powergrip HD clutch/lightweight flywheel.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

I have already have a Moser 9in from EPP. Haven't yet got around to install. My tranny is built to hold 650hp. Hopefully a forged shorblock is in the near future.

Originally Posted by chae
Should be good for around 450 RWHP from the threads that I've seen. You will want to upgrade your rear to a 12-bolt or 9-inch at that point if you will be running anything other than street tires. Also the 4L60-E will be on borrowed time from what I've heard from the automatic guys. Look into a rebuild or a 4L80-E/TH-350/TH-400 if you think you will be making serious power later on (> 500 RWHP). If you have a 6-speed just upgrade to a RAM Powergrip HD clutch/lightweight flywheel.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

I have already have a Moser 9in from EPP. Haven't yet got around to install. My tranny is built to hold 650hp. Hopefully a forged shorblock is in the near future.
Nice
Old 07-24-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

My previous setup was tr224 w/ milled and ported 241 heads and it was excellent and you can see my 1/8th mile times in the sig, but it was time to be more aggressive.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Well I decided not go with the G5X3. I might go with the X2. Seen a few cam only a4 guys hit 400rwhp with the X2. That's pretty impressive to me.

Quick Reply: Figuring out cam to go with PRC 2.5 5.3L heads?