Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick out a pretty big cam!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me pick out a pretty big cam!!

I am going to get a cam soon, and want something pretty big. The car is driven mostly on the street, and is not driven daily anymore. I want something that lopes hard and makes great power. I am really interested useable power in the midrange because of all the street driving that I do.. but also want to be able to take it to 6500 RPM and make good power still.

I was thinking seriously about the X1. I also was wondering what you guys thought about the Texas Speed 228R also.
What kind of characteristics come along with a pretty big single pattern cam.

What maintanance should I expect on a cam like these..
and what valvesprings and pushrods should I get.

I also want some heads put on down the road. Does anybody custom port to match a cam that you guys know of... (around the 1500-2000 dollar range)?

Thanks.. and sorry for the length!!
Old 05-16-2003, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Help me pick out a pretty big cam!!

if u want midrange, i wouldn't go TOO big... i'd say either MTI's C1,C2 or X1, or a TR224/112... something in the mid 220's... higher lift of the C2/X1 will be harder on springs... MTI will match heads to their cams i'm sure...
Old 05-16-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could I offset some of the loss of midrange fairly well with say.... a 3.73 gear.

I thought that since the X1 was a reverse split that it would do fairly well down low and in the midrange. I know that it will not be like something smaller but, it should do well correct? Would a bigger single pattern be worse down low and in the midrange... something like the Texas Speed 228R.

Will a big single pattern be harder on the engine (valvesprings) than the X1.

Would I be sticking my neck out if I were to get the X1 with stock heads. I don't plan on continualy reving the engine to 6500+ RPM all the time either.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get something like 228/224 .588/.581 or a 230/224 .57x/.55x? I have a C2 cam and I'm very pleased with it. Plenty of midrange power but I think I need more stall and gear to run well with it N/A (3500 stall 3.23 gears) but I plan on using N20 after my heads and new tranny arrive.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mike#9 ....

Nothing bad about you in particular, but .....

Why is it everyone wants such a large cam in there daily driver? You said this car is not a daily driver.. But, someday it might very well be.

People post something like: "Help me pick a big mean/lopey sounding cam for my everyday go to work car" ... "Oh, and I want it too idle good with no computer programming!"

If it was me, I would keep it no more than 224 duration and the lift in the vacinity of .560" (Your valve springs will thank you)

A street car drivin in heavy traffic needs low end torque and fast part-throttle response. Too much cam will make it lazy down on the bottom and make the car idle poorly without PCM tuning due to a heavy-hitter cam's wide overlap.

It's up to you, but YOUR the one that may have to have to drive it on a regular basis in traffic (the real world).

Ron,

Old 05-16-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mike#9 ....

Why is it everyone wants such a large cam in there daily driver? You said this car is not a daily driver.. But, someday it might very well be.

People post something like: "Help me pick a big mean/lopey sounding cam for my everyday go to work car" ... "Oh, and I want it too idle good with no computer programming!"

If it was me, I would keep it no more than 224 duration and the lift in the vacinity of .560" (Your valve springs will thank you)

A street car drivin in heavy traffic needs low end torque and fast part-throttle response. Too much cam will make it lazy down on the bottom and make the car idle poorly without PCM tuning due to a heavy-hitter cam's wide overlap.

It's up to you, but YOUR the one that may have to have to drive it on a regular basis in traffic (the real world).

Ron,

i can agree with that, but id say a good set of gears, and a good dyno tune would cure any problems the cam might give you in terms of power range and drive ability. Go big, try a TR230 or the X1 or the g5x2. They are all nutty cams!
Old 05-16-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

mike#9 ....

Ron,

i can agree with that, but id say a good set of gears, and a good dyno tune would cure any problems the cam might give you in terms of power range and drive ability. Go big, try a TR230 or the X1 or the g5x2. They are all nutty cams!
Point well taken... but just a couple things to clear up. It used to be my daily driver, and it is not and will never really be again.

Preferably I do not want it to idle good.. I mean I don't want it to stall all the damn time, but I want a choppy idle.. and it will be tuned.

I also want a cam that will work extremely well with stage 2 heads, and if the X1 works in the car with stock heads without any major headaches... then it theoretically should work with ported heads. Hence... why should I spend money on 2 cams if the 1 will work well with stock heads, and will work even better with ported ones??

I honestly do appreciate the feedback Ron, please keep the info coming... and if it happens to be why I shouldn't go big... well bring that to!!
Old 05-16-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike .... you make sense. I understand exactly what your your situation is.

The only reason I brought that up is the many people here in the past that have overcamed there otherwise stock engines, just to come back here later and bring a basket full or questions/problems related to surging, poor idle, burning eyes, poor bottom end power.... you name it.

Good luck with your project

Ron,

Old 05-16-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

I run the tsp 228r and love the cam. Car sounds extremely choppy with the dual cutouts open. close them with the stock exhaust and you have a very nice sound with a little lope to it.

Old 05-17-2003, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run the tsp 228r and love the cam. Car sounds extremely choppy with the dual cutouts open. close them with the stock exhaust and you have a very nice sound with a little lope to it.

What mods do you have done. Have you dyno'd yet.

Is your car a M6 or A4? How is the low end power?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do not know of many people who have this cam... and this is the first "big" cam that I looked at. Even though there are bigger... it is still a large cam.