Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock ported heads vs prc 5.3's

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stock ported heads vs prc 5.3's

I'm down to the last things on my motor.. or the last thing which is heads... i have an F14 which is 234/234 at .601/.598, electric water pump, long tubes, harland sharpe 1.7's, just an ls6 with a ported throttle body... now i'm either going to order the prc 5.3's or just get my stock 851's ported... a guy in my home city said he could get 15% to 25% more air flow out of them... but i don't know what they flow stock, so where would that put the flow numbers? i also have the a brand new set of springs that cam with the cam kit, so i would need the springs if i bought heads... I was also going to have him mill the heads to get the compression around 11:1.... a little more then the 5.3's.... i'm also going to put the 2.02 intake valves in them so it will free up some more flow, but will they flow like the 5.3's? the valves are around 130 before shipping, and its 450 for the head work... so that puts it around 600 bucks, is it worth that or should i just buy a brand new set of 5.3's? and how many horses do you guys think i could put down with this set up?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy some heads from TSP, TEA, Patriot, etc. You are at 600 bucks with the valves and headwork, plus sell the extra set of springs that you have and you stock heads for what about another 200? You are alot closer to the cost of the PRCs. Porting heads is not as easy as most people think, but maybe your guy is really good, but you're just dealing with unknowns when someone hand ports them.

You should probably make about 440 I would think. What are you making now, you should see about a 40hp increase with a good set of heads.

Be careful with piston to valve clearances if you are going to mill your heads down to 11:1 compression. That is another reason to go with the 5.3s, they have a smaller chamber and don't need as much milling (if any).
Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok thanks i think i should just wait a till i get some extra money and but the 5.3's, i talk to tsp and they said they would do a set for a 1000, and i could send them my springs and they will put them on for me.... so i guess thats the way to go... i don't know where i'm at right now, should be close to 350, i have true duals, long tubes, and the ls6 with the throttle body.... and it runs good!!! my friend has a heads cam car... and people say his car doesn't feel to much stonger then my car.... he is going to get it dyno this week that may help to see where i'm at.... i would be so happy if it put down 440!!!!