Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod bolt install SPECIAL circumstances...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod bolt install SPECIAL circumstances...

Well I have read the sticky and several threads on rod bolt install however my situation is pretty much different from most on here. The car (A4 WS6) has nothing in it minus the motor. I am in the middle of a tranny, converter, AND underdrive pulley/header swap. So basically the motor is about the only thing in the car at the moment. While I was in there I decided might as well install rod bolts since the pan is just there with very easy access. Here is my problem. With no trans to jack on or balancer on the car, how the hell am I going to be able to raise the motor enough to get access to the rod bolts? If I were to drop the k member at this point the motor is just gonna float down with it. And if I obviously use the pan as a support point I can't take it off. I guess I am kinda dumbfounded at the moment and need some fresh I deas because I am sure out of them.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need the engine hanger tool that goes across the top between the struts and has adjustable hooks downto the engine hook points (which you also need).
Old 08-01-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could use a strut tower brace and chain, or jack the engine up at the pulley(or crank snout, in your case).

I jacked the engine up at the pulley with a block of wood in between the pulley and the jack to clear the sway bar and steering rack.

Or just do steroids, and hold it.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

google Adds Suck
Ib Sucks

Last edited by studderin; 01-10-2008 at 11:15 PM.