Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about heads

ok i have noticed that most places give you a 500 dollar core charge. why is it that if all the heads are worth is 500 dollars that they charge nearly 2000 dollars (in some places) for worked over heads the parts for valves,guides,springs and retainers only comes out to like 600 bucks then the heads are worth 500 bucks so thats 1100 so is the labor and man hours that great that it cast 900bucks in some (not all) cases i was just wondering so please give me your thoughts on this
Old 05-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Default Re: ? about heads

I ported a set of big block iron heads before and let me tell you it was not fun. I had access to a flow bench and the time it took to grind a little to put the head on the flow bench take about 10 readings or each of the 8 intake and exhaust. CC'ing the combustion chambers. Then grind a little more and do it all over again I had about 30 hours in it.
The big block heads were a lot bigger and the heads were Iron. But, I can easily see 15 to 20 hours on a set of heads after you have ported your first pair considering you have to cut the seats, mill the deck, disassemble and reasemble the entire thing.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:20 AM
*Bad Trader*

ya and i can see a couple hrs in the cnc machine too. loading that disk and pushing those buttons is hand killing work...
Old 05-23-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

man i love hard labor but that is not right people are killing there self to gather up the cash also they are saying at $65 an hour that comes out to 13.87 hours can any one tell me whats wrong here
Old 05-23-2003, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

It all comes down to economics....there is not enough competition among the various head porters...until we get a head porter that ports heads efficiently in mass quantities...allowing said porter to substantially drop the retail price of the heads while still making a decent profit...hence forcing the competition to drop their prices in order to stay in business (all this is assuming that the quality of the heads is the same or close to it)...we will not see any price drops on heads ...

David R.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Launching!

I can tell you what's wrong here, it sounds like you're real cheap and you want someone to give their work away to ya.. LOL Just kidding

Hey, bottom line, it's costs a lot of money to go fast, that's why there are cars that are completely stock!

When a guy feels like it costs too much to mod the car, he just leaves it alone. He doesn't start whining that a guy who had to buy a $500,000.00 CNC machine, an $8,000 Flowbench, a dozen head cores to R&D with, plus a thousand or so hours developing a port design and CNC program has the audacity to ask a couple thousand dollars for his product.. lol

I mean come on guys, if you think anyone with a die-grinder can port heads just like the guys asking $2000 for their product, go buy a Standard Abrasives home-port kit part number 839-260001 from Jegs. Hog out a couple sets of heads and screw 'em up real good, then you can say how much you wish you'd spent that $1000 you used to buy bare head cores as money against a set of professionally ported ones.

Hey, rather than tring to figure out the econimic theory behind the performance aftermarket, foucus your energies on unraveling the true mystery of the 21st century.... how the hell do they get that cream filling in a Twinkie???!
Old 05-23-2003, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you what's wrong here, it sounds like you're real cheap and you want someone to give their work away to ya.. LOL Just kidding

Hey, bottom line, it's costs a lot of money to go fast, that's why there are cars that are completely stock!

When a guy feels like it costs too much to mod the car, he just leaves it alone. He doesn't start whining that a guy who had to buy a $500,000.00 CNC machine, an $8,000 Flowbench, a dozen head cores to R&D with, plus a thousand or so hours developing a port design and CNC program has the audacity to ask a couple thousand dollars for his product.. lol

I mean come on guys, if you think anyone with a die-grinder can port heads just like the guys asking $2000 for their product, go buy a Standard Abrasives home-port kit part number 839-260001 from Jegs. Hog out a couple sets of heads and screw 'em up real good, then you can say how much you wish you'd spent that $1000 you used to buy bare head cores as money against a set of professionally ported ones.

Hey, rather than tring to figure out the econimic theory behind the performance aftermarket, foucus your energies on unraveling the true mystery of the 21st century.... how the hell do they get that cream filling in a Twinkie???!
BINGO!