Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sucks.....
Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
After about 6 weeks in the shop I got the car back. It was idling high and would vary from 1000-1800, but otherwise it ran fine. After 3 weeks of driving it the knocking is back plus the oil pressure is dipping real low.

The real ball buster of it all is that even though it is going to be covered under warranty, it's probably going to take a few weeks and the Insurance only gave me a certain number of rental car days which were almost used up last time. Now I'm going to have to wait who knows how long for it to be fixed this second time, but their not giving me the rental car days I will need. If they had swaped the engine in the first place I wouldn't need more rental car days. Damn, this pisses me off.
Tell your insurance company you are filing a formal complain with the Department of Insurance for your state. That should get them moving in a better direction a little faster. (I work for an insurance company)
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Location: Way Out In The Boonies Chasin' Hill Billies, North GA

Hate to hear it dude...I was worried that something like this would happen when you started talking about having them repair that engine instead of swapping
Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Tell your insurance company you are filing a formal complaint with the Department of Insurance for your state. That should get them moving in a better direction a little faster. (I work for an insurance company)
This is apparently how they handle these water related situations. Fix it first, if it doesn't last, then replace it. Do I have any real reason to threaten them? Maybe I could get them to extend my rental car use until these repairs are done?

Originally Posted by topdownTA
Hate to hear it dude...I was worried that something like this would happen when you started talking about having them repair that engine instead of swapping
It's not like I had a choice. That's all the Insurance Company would do. I'm assuming they are going to have to install a complete used motor. I'd rather take that money and get a new 402 shortblock.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
This is apparently how they handle these water related situations. Fix it first, if it doesn't last, then replace it. Do I have any real reason to threaten them? Maybe I could get them to extend my rental car use until these repairs are done?

It's not like I had a choice. That's all the Insurance Company would do. I'm assuming they are going to have to install a complete used motor. I'd rather take that money and get a new 402 shortblock.
Yeah you do have reason, they are giving you trouble on your rental days, the shop should be able to give them a reasonable amount of time its going to take. And yes thats they way it works... they will take the cheapest route first... and then when it breaks because it wasn't done right in the first place they end up dishing out more money than it would have cost to do it right the first time.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.
Do you think I should get an estimated number of days the shop will take to fix it and then tell the insurance company I should at least get a rental car for that number of days? If they say no, then say I'm filing a formal complaint with the Department of Insurance for my state?

Do Insurance Co's budge on things like going over the alloted rental car amount?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Actually you should have your shop contact your insurance company about how long its going to take... if your insco hassles about the amount or rental time even though you have a "contract" limit of days I would then go into filing a complaint because had this been done right the first time you wouldn't be in this situation again with no car.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Jon, I haven't talked to the dealer today, but I see on my window a red sticker saying "Salvage Inventory Checklist".
WTF is that?
Are they going to try and total my car out instead of honoring the engine warranty?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jason, I'm really not sure... I would call your dealer ASAP, does that sticker have the dealer's name on it or your insurance company? I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I just talked to them. The Insurance Co is now saying that the cost to replace the engine plus the money from the first repair is going to cost too much and they want to total it.

They said the first repairs would have a one year warranty, that's the only reason I agreed to it, and now their backing out of it to save money.

In a way, it's like a scam. To me at least.

I'm going to get my car appraised so I know what I'm dealing with. I may be able to strike a deal with them. I know I can get a shortblock and have the shop install it for way less than they can get a complete used engine for.

I still owe $800 on the car, so I may borrow the money to pay it off if that would help.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jason... if they are wanting to total it out go ahead and get it appraised to see what the overall car is worth... pay that loan off if you only owe 800 and take your "totaled" check to re-do the motor the way you want it. I think you are pretty much at a dead spot with the totalled part. I still can't see it getting totalled since i would guess your car is still worth in the 8-9K range and a STOCK motor should not cost that much to rebuild.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, my car is in super nice condition. Plus I take good care of all the mechanicals. Just added new rims.

The only down side is it's 8 years old, plus has 107K miles on it. You'd never know to look at it, though.

I think the used motors they get run about 4K plus maybe $750-1K labor to do the swap at the dealer. The last repair was about 3k including a rental car. So even if they include the last repair it should still be under 8K total. I think my car is worth more than that. Maybe they don't?

So you think I should pay off the $800 to make the car mine and allow them to total the car?
How does this "totaled" thing work? I've heard of people buying back their car and stuff, but I'm not sure what it all means.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I don't work in my total loss department, usually "total" is 70% of ACV (actual cash value) But you do have the option of retaining the car, but your title will be branded salvage or repaired even though it was not in an "accident". So if you plan on keeping the car I'd probably go ahead and pay it off and get the title to it and just use your check from insurance to do what you want to the car. Can i ask what company your insurance is?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

So if I pay it off and let them total it, they will pay me 70% of the ACV?

In return, the title will be branded SALVAGE which really hurts the value of the car? Can the car still be insured, from another company, etc.. so I can fix it and drive it like normal? That's not so bad. I can fix it for that amount of money easily.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the 70% is what they consider a total loss, you should get paid 100% of the ACV, they should explain to you how everything will work. The title will be branded salvage, as far as insuring it again... I do not believe "salvaged" cars can carry collision coverage anymore, you need to ask them if they will still be able to put "full" coverage on it. In Indiana once you get a "salvage" titled car you can only carry Liability coverage on it but you can still drive it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

They told me the ACV, but I'm going to have it appraised tommorrow just to make sure they are correct. I'm also going to fax them a reciept for my new rims which I recently added. They should know the salvage value of the car tommorrow. I believe the salvage value is what I would pay the Ins. Co. to buy my car back.

They are also paying the last 2 notes off, $800, for me so I assume that's a coverage I have in my insurance policy.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same thing happen, except two rods came through the block completely. You have a bent rod...... call insurance and they will buy you a new motor
Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CayanneZ
I had the same thing happen, except two rods came through the block completely. You have a bent rod...... call insurance and they will buy you a new motor
Nope, a replacement motor would cost too much that's why they want to total the car.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-26-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Jason, glad to hear they are paying your note off. I think what they do with a total if you owner retain it is subtract the salvage value from the ACV, like if they took it to a junk yard how much they would get for it. But yeah they should give you a pretty nice check.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like this may be over soon. The salvage value was a super low $1200. After paying off my note and all I'll be geting back about $7500 plus a bit more once the figure my new rims into the value. Anyway, they said they should have it all finaized Monday. Damn, I'm stoked! I keep my car plus $7500.

Now I need to figure out what engine I want. 427 shortblock sounds nice.

Quick Reply: Loud Knocking After Ingesting Water?