Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the most powerfull cam you can put into a ls1

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Maybe his cam guy didn't give him all the numbers, just the performance he wanted, or perhaps filling in the Xs would make it easier to reverse engineer the cam and he'd rather not have that happen.

FWIW, you provide lobe numbers with your cam info, right?

Top secret cam numbers, lol. As if you can't measure the cam.

P.S. My car "really" runs 1x.xx in the quarter, top secret how it got there.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now guys, keep it up...i'm bored at work and enjoyin this read. haha
Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by troopercar
Top secret cam numbers, lol. As if you can't measure the cam.

P.S. My car "really" runs 1x.xx in the quarter, top secret how it got there.
At least we know you aren't in the 9.xx's.

Measuring a lobe ("Cam Doctor" or equivalent method) doesn't necessarily allow you to figure out what actual lobe was used. If you are only interested in duration and lift that's easy to measure. There are a number of similar lobes in a cam companies lobe library which may have subtle differences which influence how the valvetrain works. Maverick's Pappy said it well "It ain't always where you go, it's how you get there that counts!"

FWIW, if you do a custom cam for someone, and reveal all the specs, it's now just another "shelf" cam, right? Hopefully the customer for the "custom" didn't pay any extra for his cam which now anyone can order by the numbers for a shelf cam price.

Sometimes exclusivity and a little mystery adds spice to the product's performance, which is always Job One. Marketing 202?

Jon
Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the MS3, LS6 Intake, Pacesetter Long Tubes, TSP True Duals, TSP Ported LS6 Oil pump, Patriot Dual Valve Springs, SLP Lid, and 25% Under drive pully i made 410RWHP with 376RWTQ
Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Prerun4fun13
With the MS3, LS6 Intake, Pacesetter Long Tubes, TSP True Duals, TSP Ported LS6 Oil pump, Patriot Dual Valve Springs, SLP Lid, and 25% Under drive pully i made 410RWHP with 376RWTQ
yeah but your in a m6.... hes not going to get the numbers a m6 would. i still say go with a 224 or 228. newbies always want big cams b/c they think bigger is better.

heres a good comparison i guess.... sure having a foot long would be cool to say but whats the point when in reality only half of that will go in her? anymore and it might break. still get the pleasure out of it though....

thats sorta like a cam i guess. why get a huge cam when a mild cam will do a perfectly good job?

jus some food for thought

Last edited by transamfreak01; 08-29-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry but i had to.... if anyone finds that offensive just say so and ill delete it
Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM

good analogy...it is true.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats... i was in school when i posted that and my teacher came over and asked what i was typing... thank god she didnt see it
Old 08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

I understand where you're coming from old sstroker, but when you pay someone to pick a cam for you what you're buying is their ability to choose the valve events that will work best for your specific combo and goals. In other words YOUR perfect pro chosen cam might be all wrong for MY combo. There is no "perfect cam" that someone has discovered.
Now I'm all for the ol "oh it's all stock with headers" line when it's a 408 beast when you're at the track but on this forum we're (I'm) here to share info and learn/teach about performance. You can't do that without specifics.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

This is a 599/601 lift Voodoo cam 60512 i think

Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by troopercar
I understand where you're coming from old sstroker, but when you pay someone to pick a cam for you what you're buying is their ability to choose the valve events that will work best for your specific combo and goals. In other words YOUR perfect pro chosen cam might be all wrong for MY combo. There is no "perfect cam" that someone has discovered.
Now I'm all for the ol "oh it's all stock with headers" line when it's a 408 beast when you're at the track but on this forum we're (I'm) here to share info and learn/teach about performance. You can't do that without specifics.
I don't particularly want MY perfect pro-chosen cam specs all over the intenet. You might, so you'd probably buy your cam from someone different from who I'd use.

Sharing information that is not proprietary is fine. Sharing proprietary information is not fine, and can be a crime. If you think the folks responsible for the best running high-end engines (and vehicles) share their "secrets", you ain't living in the real world.

If one is in the business of building/designing/specing parts that really work well, they just aren't going to reveal exactly what it is that makes their parts/cams/pistons, etc. work better than the next guy's. I'm always skeptical of the guy who "tells all". I never see that in high-end performance.

If I built some fancy new engine part that worked well, there's no way I'm going to give up the design information that can't be discovered by measurement of the parts. If someone wants to copy it they can do the research, testing, etc., or they can pay me to sell them parts.

Just my $.02

Jon
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM

all and all..i like the popeye avatar.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
I don't particularly want MY perfect pro-chosen cam specs all over the intenet. You might, so you'd probably buy your cam from someone different from who I'd use.

Sharing information that is not proprietary is fine. Sharing proprietary information is not fine, and can be a crime. If you think the folks responsible for the best running high-end engines (and vehicles) share their "secrets", you ain't living in the real world.

If one is in the business of building/designing/specing parts that really work well, they just aren't going to reveal exactly what it is that makes their parts/cams/pistons, etc. work better than the next guy's. I'm always skeptical of the guy who "tells all". I never see that in high-end performance.

If I built some fancy new engine part that worked well, there's no way I'm going to give up the design information that can't be discovered by measurement of the parts. If someone wants to copy it they can do the research, testing, etc., or they can pay me to sell them parts.

Just my $.02

Jon
I'm not disagreeing with you as much as you might think. I realize you'll never see a top fuel chief tell you his exact set-up. But then, you won't see a top fuel engine builder on the net asking for "the most powerful cam". I'm saying for the purposes of this forum, when a guy needs help choosing a cam we can give him some specific off the shelf cams to choose from. That will either put him in the ballpark to understand what he's being told if he chooses to pay a builder or let him make his own choice based on good info.
I've been the crewchief of a Hooters Cup limited late model circle track car that we paid big bucks for a badass engine. The builder didn't want to come off of certain details of it other than "it'll pass a tech tear down". I fully respect that and we didn't demand to know anything that could take away our builders edge. That usually applies in cases where there is a set of rules to follow and everyone is close to the same combo and the perfect cam makes all the difference in the world.
But the fact remains that any propietary machine once sold to the public, can and will be reverse engineered. Don't expect me to believe that AFR, RHS, TFS, and Edelbrock don't have sets of each others heads being worked on in their shops.

If you race seriously/professionally then don't tell us your set up. No problem. If you feel you'd be stabbing your builder in the back, then keep your secret. But some builders don't mind and even advertise their specs (though probably not of the engines they build for the pros).
my .02
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

**** the sys who side this secret

the my cam

228 / 232 .588 .592 LSa 110 + 4

Lobe numbers:
3724R/3726R HR110LSA +4
Comp XE-R lobes
Shift points will be around 6400 with an automatic.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Custom cam means custom chosen/designed. Not ground on some unique one-off lobe. Put down the crack and step away from the pipe.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

Also you'll notice, a lot of guys say to get a small cam "because they used to have it and loved it". But they didn't love it enough to keep it. I had a 224 cam. No more. My current cam blows the old one out of the water.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowe1632
all and all..i like the popeye avatar.
Hey, I posed for that pic and get $.25 whenever someone chooses to use it. I'm saving up the royalities to buy a cup of coffee.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
you dont need a cam. Try not to read this and let me come off as a dick, but you got no idea what youre doing. You have to do so much before you can even SUPPORT having a cam. A BIG cam without enough intake/exhaust work will choke it out and really defeat its purpose. Also great flowing heads will help that big cam. You might also have to flycut the pistons if you have to much duration.

You really need to stop. organize a REALISTIC plan. Set yourself a goal, and the amount of cash you want to spend. Dont go on a spending spree with no limit or goals in mind. There are endless possibilities and routes to go down. this site has a amssive database of info for you to research so do that before you start throwing money around.

** There all better, had a stupid mcdonalds eating moment

Ah the same old song! Listen to Skinny Boy and you'll save yourself some time and money in the long run.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rai
what are some of the best cams for a ls1 .. looking for ones with big hp gains

i dont have much knowledge of the ls1 engine but do you have to have to upgrade other items to upgrade a cam? .. if so can you list those also

thanks
Your best bet since you admit you don't know much about your engine is to NOT pick your own cam. Just call Texas Speed, Comp Cams, or any of the reputable sponsers and tell them your goals and current/future mods. They will give you a couple of good reccomendations that will deliver what you're looking for. They will also tell you what other parts need to go with it. Then resist the urge to go with a larger cam than they reccomend, they do this for a living and are pretty good at it.
If you are only after bragging rights from dyno numbers then call Katech, give them 25 grand and have em build you the baddest motor they can assemble. But don't ask them for the cam specs.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

NO! You are showing your own lack of experience if you are telling someone to call Comp. Their help techs are 100% toolbags who tried to tell me that any LSK lobe over a 213* duration would destroy my valvetrain within 500 miles.

Call a sponsor that is putting out cars that run good times. Not just whatever name you hear on the board. Just because a company sells products doesn't mean they have a name in racing or a history of good engine building. Call a company like Futral or LG who have experience in actual racing.

Quick Reply: the most powerfull cam you can put into a ls1