Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of what i found on my oil drain Plug :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles did you have on the setup?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
why does the dowel pin still need to be in there if u have 3 bolts holding them on
I doubt the dowl pin has anything to do with the attachment of the gear. It serves as the pin to ensure that the gear is installed exactly where it should be on your cam so when you line it up dot to dot your timing is correct.

Without it you could just bolt the gear on & line the dots up, but the cam might be spun out of time. The gear has a specific orientation on the face of the cam to ensure the lobes are rotated where they should be when the dots are aligned.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
why does the dowel pin still need to be in there if u have 3 bolts holding them on
Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like said before did you actually clean the threads or just put loctite on them?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a cam dowel to me too. If it was a lifter pin you'd have the needle bearings down there with it. Plus you'd notice a very loose rocker since you had the valve covers off.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

yes i cleaned the threads and everything is going back together
Old 09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Your going back up with it? That piston that has been hitting the head is gonna blow apart and you will demolish your block. Several people in this thread have already tried to warn you before you do more damage than what's already done. If you decide to ignore the advice given, make sure you post pictures of the holey block and broken rods. People love to see carnage and to say I told you so.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Your going back up with it? That piston that has been hitting the head is gonna blow apart and you will demolish your block. Several people in this thread have already tried to warn you before you do more damage than what's already done. If you decide to ignore the advice given, make sure you post pictures of the holey block and broken rods. People love to see carnage and to say I told you so.
... +1
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

LOL... dude quit being a ignorant "****" acting like you allready know everything and just read what people are telling you. You did the whole cam swap procedure WRONG! In result your **** fell apart. You have like 5 people that have allready told you that it was the dowel pin and to NOT put the motor back together... Try and pick up a book it might help you...
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blck_01ss
LOL... dude quit being a ignorant "****" acting like you allready know everything and just read what people are telling you. You did the whole cam swap procedure WRONG! In result your **** fell apart. You have like 5 people that have allready told you that it was the dowel pin and to NOT put the motor back together... Try and pick up a book it might help you...
Honestly, I've never really heard of cam gear bolts coming out due to lack of locktite. Personally I just clean the bolts, stick them back in and torque to spec a couple passes... never had a problem doing it this way. I think he didnt torque them to spec. If he torqued the "****" out of them like he said he did without using a torque wrench there's a high possibility they would strip. just my .02
Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

For some reason im frustrated as hell with this kid because HE WONT LISTEN. Drivin me nut how everyones advice seems to go in one ear and out the other.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

yea thats kinda weird.. im still tryin to figure out (if it is the dowl pin...) how it came out... weird stuff
Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jermzz
Honestly, I've never really heard of cam gear bolts coming out due to lack of locktite. Personally I just clean the bolts, stick them back in and torque to spec a couple passes... never had a problem doing it this way. I think he didnt torque them to spec. If he torqued the "****" out of them like he said he did without using a torque wrench there's a high possibility they would strip. just my .02
lol go look at the pics and tell me what you see on top of the pistons (damage has been done). The motor might run for a little while if he puts it back together just a matter of how long, and I doubt it will make any power if so. Pan needs to be dropped, and the heads need to be checked the end.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id put it back together as long as the valves arent bent. As long as they arent bent you should be OK. The pistons dont look too bad, just a little kissing from the valves. take the heads to the machine shop for a check and if they are ok then put it back together, do it right this time.

Last edited by brad8266; 09-05-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Kinda what I'm thinkin happened. Overtorqued them by not following proper procedure & they only held for so long while spinning the STOCK shortblock to 6800 RPM(which is just crazy by itself). Then once they started slightly backin out it allowed the cam gear to move just enough to wiggle the dowl pin out.

Thats about the ONLY rational thing I can think of. That dowl pin isn't gonna just fall out. It had to have some sort of side/side or up/down motion to walk it out. I think this is the only case of this I have ever seen or heard of.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blck_01ss
lol go look at the pics and tell me what you see on top of the pistons (damage has been done). The motor might run for a little while if he puts it back together just a matter of how long, and I doubt it will make any power if so. Pan needs to be dropped, and the heads need to be checked the end.
I'm not saying he should put it back together. Read my other posts, I said the oposite. But you're getting on him for doing "the whole cam swap procedure wrong." Granted what he did was a bonehead move, he didn't do everything wrong. The car ran when he started it and for however long it ran for. People just dont realize there's more to it then just tossing the parts in and snugging everything up. Just a noob mistake that's gonna cost him in the end.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ Yeah it was something involving the assembly of the cam gear like improper/uneven tq procedures that allowed enough vibration/harmonics so that the dowel came loose. Very rare but **** happens.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
Id put it back together as long as the valves arent bent. As long as they arent bent you should be OK. The pistons dont look too bad, just a little kissing from the valves.

would you put your motor back together if you had chunks of metal and that many shavings on your oil plug? I wouldnt.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

would you put your motor back together if you had chunks of metal and that many shavings on your oil plug? I wouldnt.
If the valves are ok, and the engine rotates ok I would put it right back together and run it, if it breaks later on then oh well then its time to get a new motor, until then run the one he has and start saving up. The metal shavings were a bit excessive but the motor will still run fine im sure as long as the valves are still straight.

Youre making it out to be a lot worse than it probably is IMO.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Launching!

is what the block is going to do if you run it with bent rods!

Quick Reply: Pic of what i found on my oil drain Plug :(