Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel Like I wasted $$ on Cam Install!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol shave the sides of the rods down to flat on one side! we have used mine 5+ times! lol and still the all round should work ne wayz! lol its just a waste of 40 bux!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Exactly, you can just shave down the side of a dowel rod. I didn't have to i just slid them in with no problem, but guess what one of my lifters still almost slipped out. I noticed it as i was installing the MS3, i was almost fully in when it just stopped. And i could hear it tapping against something. Check out the picture:

Even with the rod it still managed to drop a bit. So to fix the problem i re-installed the MS3 and when i got to that point a friend of mine used a pen magnet to bring the lifter back up, problem solved. I think even if i would have spent the money on the jrp lifter tool it still would have happened. The dowel rods do work great, but you must remember that they ain't perfect.
-Joel
Old 09-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Launching!

lol the head bolts and lifters ar enot a problem if you drop the motor!!! had mine out for rebuild and working on it was so easy out of the car, in the car I can barely get all 8 plug out!! lol
Old 09-15-2007, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tram
Actually, she does and she's smokin..

Haha don't let your wife see you saying that...
Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snyper
Haha don't let your wife see you saying that...
Ah she knows..

She gives me a hard time about my dad.. She thinks he's hot, or whatever.. So I'm like yeh, well.. your sisters younger and bangin..
Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fwiw, the hold up rods dont go under the lifters, they fit along side in the flat spot on the lifter itself..that's why there square-ish instead of round...you could use a smaller round dowel, but the excess play will cause the lifters to drop slightly, too small and the lifters will slide right past them....good luck...
Old 09-16-2007, 03:53 AM
12 Second Club

happened with my car. pen magnet got stuck down in there then the magnet came apart and half of it was down in there. 30 mins later a couple of tools and some tight squeezing we were able to pull it out.... thought heads were commin off for a second

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
Keep in mind that 2 members of this board have recently had the end of the magnets come off and be stuck to the lifters using this method. Then its "Off with your heads."
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Second Club

Ah she knows..

She gives me a hard time about my dad.. She thinks he's hot, or whatever.. So I'm like yeh, well.. your sisters younger and bangin..

Damn, sounds like a future episode of Jerry Springer
Old 09-16-2007, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oange ss
fwiw, the hold up rods dont go under the lifters, they fit along side in the flat spot on the lifter itself..that's why there square-ish instead of round...you could use a smaller round dowel, but the excess play will cause the lifters to drop slightly, too small and the lifters will slide right past them....good luck...

the flat side of the rod lets you slide it in, then you turn it until it snugs up with a round edge pushing against the lifters. I made my wn with 5/16 metal dowel ****, ground down one whole edge of it. Slid right in, and when turned tight it held them so well that you couldn't turn the dowel all the way around, it snugged them up very nicely
Old 09-16-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your mechanic used the wront size rods. They should be 5/16 exactly, even slightly smaller will not work. Also take the end of the rod and grind it to look like a bullet. Gently install rods while rotating cam.

Couldn't be easier.

Re'
Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Teching In

I made these rods from basic stuff found at Home Depot.

2 5/16" rods(round stock/dowels or whatever you call them), make them approx. 25" long,
bullet one end like they said and mark exactly 19" on the rod
when the mark is flush with front of the block you know that you are all the way in
I bent the extra 6" to make a handle but be sure that the other 19" is straight
also I didn't have to flatten one egde, tight fit on passenger side but went in
made swap very easy

oh and everything only cost around $6.75
Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, she does and she's smokin..
How much would it cost to ship he tor area code 32250? Freight preferably to save on shipping.

, seriously though...
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hijack but, Im fixing to do a head and cam swap and I purchased new LS7 lifters. Do I have to purchase new lifter trays as well?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
Keep in mind that 2 members of this board have recently had the end of the magnets come off and be stuck to the lifters using this method. Then its "Off with your heads."
I did the same thing.Get good magnets!!!!!!!!! :bomb:
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Sorry to hijack but, Im fixing to do a head and cam swap and I purchased new LS7 lifters. Do I have to purchase new lifter trays as well?
You don't *have* to, but if you are in there in wouldn't hurt. My "cam only" swap turned into H/C when a lifter would not stay up at all. No matter what type of dowel was in the block, lifter was making contact with cam. Decided to pull heads and upgrade. $20 for the 4 lifters trays is pretty good piece of mind. If you think you might go another route with your cam in a couple of years (I.E. Bigger cam), then replace them IMO.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the pen magnet method twice and had no problems. No lost magnets. Don't get the ultra cheap ones and you should be fine. They where basically held up by the pocket clip in the end of it. This is how I did it. I put all the pen magnets on then we rotated the cam compressing the pen magnets so when the lifter went up I pushed on the end of the pen magnet down so the clip sort of hooked in the edge of the lifter hole. when the cam is rotated more the lifter stays up held by the magnet. The new cams slid in with no problem.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
You don't *have* to, but if you are in there in wouldn't hurt. My "cam only" swap turned into H/C when a lifter would not stay up at all. No matter what type of dowel was in the block, lifter was making contact with cam. Decided to pull heads and upgrade. $20 for the 4 lifters trays is pretty good piece of mind. If you think you might go another route with your cam in a couple of years (I.E. Bigger cam), then replace them IMO.
They will still touch the cam, that isn't unusual. They aren't held up entirely out of the way, they are just held up from falling. We need a sticky on this so people know what size rod to use and why smaller won't work, where it catches the lifters and that it does not slide UNDER the lifters, and that it won't hold them up from touching the cam. The only reason some people don't have them touching the cam is because their lifter cups hold the lifters up that far, but if the cups don't hold and the rod is holding them, they will touch the cam.