Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe oil consumption and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it takes 2k to seat some rings then someone didnt build the engine properly. It should never take that long.

Leakdown test is going to be a decent indicator of whether or not the consumption is coming from the bottom or not.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Wink

Originally Posted by brad8266
If it takes 2k to seat some rings then someone didnt build the engine properly. It should never take that long.

Leakdown test is going to be a decent indicator of whether or not the consumption is coming from the bottom or not.
I agree....
Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999vetteroo
I agree....
Your a clown. You agree to what he just said which is exactly what I just said. I said eliminate top end oil consumption problems (PCV/seals/guides), leak the motor, and proceed.

If you pass quarts (plural) of oil past your rings in 150 miles, then someone unfortunately built you a still born motor, and you cant polish a terd, sorry. We have some stuff in the top tier of nitrous LSx stuff, and they dont have blowby to where they drink oil like your running a diesel. You couldnt, oil doesnt have the octane makings for a good fuel, more like trying to hit something with a 300+ shot on 87 octane. Weve done it on good pump gas (check out Hot Rod this month) but I call that quitting time lol

Im not smarter than everyone, but judging from your custom comp cams (DOHC LS1?) and Harlad Sharp your not smarter than anyone.

Im just trying to help someone out from having the wool pulled over their eyes and make sure everythign is checked and works out to their benefit... not to the benefit of an engine builder who doesnt feel like fixing something if thats the case. If its drinking that much oil and it leaks bad pull a head, oil will cake up on the pistons REAL quick, amking them even more sensitive to timing and detonation

For Christmas, Im getting you a present. What size clownshoes do you wear?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, everyone calm down. We aren't gonna know anything until he checks it out. Right now it's just speculation.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, check it out from top down, hopefully its something dumb somewhere. Cracked guides, seals etc, never had a prob with the ET castings and we turn them hard (8000) but check everything!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I am willing to bet it is something dumb as well at this point. If it is not down on power i don't think it is ring related at all.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Your a clown. You agree to what he just said which is exactly what I just said. I said eliminate top end oil consumption problems (PCV/seals/guides), leak the motor, and proceed.

If you pass quarts (plural) of oil past your rings in 150 miles, then someone unfortunately built you a still born motor, and you cant polish a terd, sorry. We have some stuff in the top tier of nitrous LSx stuff, and they dont have blowby to where they drink oil like your running a diesel. You couldnt, oil doesnt have the octane makings for a good fuel, more like trying to hit something with a 300+ shot on 87 octane. Weve done it on good pump gas (check out Hot Rod this month) but I call that quitting time lol

Im not smarter than everyone, but judging from your custom comp cams (DOHC LS1?) and Harlad Sharp your not smarter than anyone.

Im just trying to help someone out from having the wool pulled over their eyes and make sure everythign is checked and works out to their benefit... not to the benefit of an engine builder who doesnt feel like fixing something if thats the case. If its drinking that much oil and it leaks bad pull a head, oil will cake up on the pistons REAL quick, amking them even more sensitive to timing and detonation

For Christmas, Im getting you a present. What size clownshoes do you wear?
I'm with Orangeapleel. You need to calm down. I'm a clown? Your very, very sensative. Hey you have the floor. I've had enough of all you internet tough guys. You can argue with youself.......
Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 1999vetteroo
I'm with Orangeapleel. You need to calm down. I'm a clown? Your very, very sensative. Hey you have the floor. I've had enough of all you internet tough guys. You can argue with youself.......
Keep it calm. No need to retaliate.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

By the way how do the spark plugs look? Are the threads or electrode coated with oil?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Restricted User

Ok, I pulled the intake yesterday and the there was oil on the heads where the intake meets up. I checked in the intake ports to see if any oil was sitting on top of the valve. I couldn't get enough light in there to see so I rolled up a paper towel and pushed it down to the valve and sure enough it was wet with oil. Next I proceeded to pull the intake bolts and see if the oil went past the Permatex thread sealer. The bolt was had oil on it down to the tip. I t took a while to get the sealer off the theards of the bolt but there was no sign of sealer in the the threads of the heads. I guess I didn't clean them well enough. So I took a engine building brush and some brake cleaner and cleaned them out really good. I ran out of time after that and had to take my son to his baseball game. So the plan is to pick up some black permatex today, clean the head threads one more time then put it all back together to see. I will probably let the permatex dry for a day before starting it back up. Should I just run breathers in the valve covers and do away with the pcv and the catch can? does the pcv and catch can help with crank case pressure or will the 2 breathers in the valve covers be enough? Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Severe oil consumption and smoking-intake-ports-2.jpg   Severe oil consumption and smoking-intake-ports.jpg  

Last edited by 2001 Pewter WS6; 09-17-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by brad8266
By the way how do the spark plugs look? Are the threads or electrode coated with oil?
The spark plugs looked good, nothing caked on them. The electrodes looked fine, just some oil on the base of the plug and threads.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Great news... hope thats then end of the issue!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I would stick with the catch can/PCV setup for a bit to see what type of consumption you are getting up top. Then make your decision after a week or 2 of driving.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I would stick with the catch can/PCV setup for a bit to see what type of consumption you are getting up top. Then make your decision after a week or 2 of driving.
What would be the advantages or disadvantages of keeping it verses getting rid of it?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Yes what WOULD be the advantages? It's obvious he is taking in oil at the throttle body. Chances are that if the rings aren't properly seated then there will be greater crankcase pressure which will cause more oil to be forced into the PCV system. Even with breathers you will still probably have oil consumption but with less smoke. If you stick the breathers on and it is still smoking badly, then the rings are probably your problem.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Restricted User

I finished putting it all together last night. I capped off the LS6 PCV system for now and am using two valve cover breathers. I will be firing it up and taking it for a ride tonight. I am praying to GOD that it is fixed. I will post back tomorrow...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Restricted User

I took it for a short ride and it smoked pretty good at first when I got on it. The 2nd time I got on it a bit it smoked less. Will it take a while to stop smoking? I figure there has to be oil residue and gunk on the pistons and rings that needs to burn off, but how long should it take???
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Restricted User

The car is still smoking ... I am trying to find a leak down tester now to see if I can find out if the bottom end is the problem or not.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Geeze

Quick Reply: Severe oil consumption and smoking