Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STILL OVERHEATING! I FN give up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how's it going Derrick? Any good news?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Don't worry the ETP heads are not going back on my car whether they are truly the problem or not. We will find out soon. I have a set of Trick Flow 215 heads being finished right at this moment. They are shipping out via UPS RED today and should arrive at Redline tomorrow morning. Andy is going to try his best to get the new heads installed tomorrow. If the overheating is gone then Josh and I are going to finish the tune tomorrow night and I am going to race on Wednesday.

So the soonest I will know whether the overheating is gone or not will be tomorrow night. I'll post our findings ASAP.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the update. I'd say good luck but I don't think you'll need it with your new heads, they should be fine.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

An increadible post! Wow, how did this get past the quality control check?

There must be other heads that have this issue also; right?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Teching In

This may not help but... I lowered my car and removed the stupid plastic thing that extends from the bottom of the radiator, cuz' it always scraped things, and i immediately overheated so i put it back on and haven't had a problem. My engine is completely stock.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

A friend had a similar problem a few years ago. The engine was rebuilt and overheated constantly. It wound up being low compression from using the wrong pistons.

Are you sure the compression is what it is supposed it to be? Seems like the heads are the common thread on two short blocks. Did it ever make good power with these heads? My friend's engine was a bit of a dog.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

My stock engine overheated also after installing these heads and the Streetsweeper cam, so there is nothing wrong with my new shortblock. The pistons are just like they are supposed to be. My new shortblock is using the same heads and cam as my stock engine was and it is still overheating. We took the heads off and found some of the coolant passages didn't line up with the gasket. With all the problems I have had with these heads (do a search in the dyno section) I decided to go with a set of Trick Flows. They should arrive tomorrow and hopefully my overheating issue will be gone.

BTW, my car did make really good power with the ETP 225 heads. It made 443/400 UNLOCKED through a 8" converter and a 12 bolt with 4.10 gears! Furthermore, that was with solid roller springs that wouldn't allow my car to make peak power. I had a nasty dip from 5800 rpm on up. I have no doubt with the right springs I would have been above 450 rwhp on the stock bottom end. Those are huge numbers through an unlocked converter and a 12 bolt with 4.10's. I was hoping for 480 rwhp out of my 383. I don't really know what to expect with the Trick Flows. Hopefully I will still reach my goal.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so whats gonna happen to those etp heads? i would buy them as is.....

your problem is about to be solved. I installed a head gasket upside down once...blocked 2 holes and overheated just as you described. You will be out kicking *** soon!!

stock fans cut off at highway speeds UNLESS the temps are high...at least thats what efilive says under that parameter
Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

I guess I am going to sell them. Ed Curtis is not replying to my emails anymore so I assume he is hoping I will just go away. Maybe he'll get his wish. Are you sure you want them? What are you willing to pay me for them? I certainly will not ask to get what I paid for them but at the same time I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars trying to fix my overheating problem. I can't lose any more money and would like to get as much as possible for them. BTW, I paid $2,550 for them and the springs plus $185 for the pushrods. The pushrods are 8.05" long. You will probably need them.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

FINALLY!

We got the Trick Flow heads on and temps dropped a lot. Right before we made the swap the temperature reached 230 with no signs of peaking. Of course we pulled over and left the electric pump running with the fans on and the engine off. After installing the Trick Flows the temps were only reaching 202 on a 20 mile drive on the highway. At idle temps would slowly fall back down into the 190s.

I still wasn't satisfied so I looked over everything one last time. I had already tried taking off my Super Sucker Ram Air while my stock radiator was on but I had not tried taking it off since installing the Be Cool radiator. Well, the Be Cool radiator is a lot thicker and it really closed up the already small gap in between the SSRA and the Be Cool. I know from past experience that blocking the radiator can cause overheating on the highway. So I thought what the hell and took it off just to see.

Now? How about 178* on the highway and holding steady! And my friend was able to meet up with me last night and get my car completely tuned on the street, part throttle and WOT. Tonight is the last night of racing at my local drag strip so I am really looking forward to it after a season long fiasco. I'm on my way to the dyno in a couple hours here so hopefully I put up some good numbers on the dyno and the strip. The car feels really strong.

Many thanks to everyone who helped with their hands or their minds.

I think in summary I had "the recipe" for overheating...clogged radiator, contaminated coolant, blocked coolant passages and finally a partially blocked radiator.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Good to see you got it all fixed man.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
I am working with another vendor on this site on a set of Trick Flow heads. If the engine no longer overheats then I will try to get Ed or ETP to either buy back my heads or replace them with a brand new set. If they replace them I will put the new set up for sale at a good price and finally be done with all of this. Just maybe if I'm lucky I might be able to drag race once before the season is over.

Many thanks to everyone who has tried to help! I will chime in once we get the new heads installed and the engine running.
Wow I'm glad that you got your cooling issue fixed. I hope everything else works out for you.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the heads were not the problem ?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jfman
So the heads were not the problem ?
They were definitly the problem.

CONGRATS! after all that trouble it must be gratifying
Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Just got back from the dyno. I was really hoping all of my troubles would be rewarded with good dyno and track numbers. Unfortunately the 37 extra cubes only picked me up 3 rwhp and 6 rwtq from my heads/cam 346 numbers and it is peaking 500 rpm earlier. However, my motor only has about 8 to 10 hours and 450 miles on it. Also, the cam I'm using was designed for a 346 so I really think there is a lot to be gained by switching to a bigger cam. It peaked at 5900 and the power really falls off sharply after 6200. Maybe its time to give Patrick G a call?

I was really hoping to get low 10's out of this setup but now I'm thinking mid 10's at best, at least for now anyways. Maybe I'll be surprised tonight. Track results will be posted late tonight. For now, I'm just happy my overheating issues are gone for good.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool.. glad to see that the overheating problem is resolve.

It was a adventure following your thread, but it end ok ... waiting for the times to be posted..!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Those are VERY common scoring marks. Their on the thrust side of the cylinder. Just make sure the pistons weren't set up to loose and causing them to excessivly rock. Have you put a depth gauge on them to see if their deep?

Look at pictures of aftermarket forged engines that have ben ran. You will see those marks.
Originally Posted by PewterZ28
So are you saying that the vertical marks seen in this picture are scoring marks? ***Paging Erik Koenig or any other engine guru***
Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear your car is running much better now Derrick!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good to hear you got your problems fixed. Good power with stock internals
Old 10-20-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see you up and running! I hope you get a good price for those "Other Heads"

Did you make it to the track?

Quick Reply: STILL OVERHEATING! I FN give up!