Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How clean do you get your block before..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How clean do you get your block before..........

Installing new head gaskets and heads, I'm useing a plastic ice scraper and carb and choke cleaner, and being very very thourough, I've found some other secret chemicals to get it clean but it takes forever, anybody got pics of what there's looks like before they put the new gaskets and heads on?
Old 06-03-2003, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How clean do you get your block before..........

I don't have any pics, but used the same stuff. It felt like it took forever. I did a thourough job, but still didn't get it looking "shiny and new"
Old 06-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Launching!

get it decked that should clean it up real good.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:49 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

You do not need to clean is ultra well if you are using graphite gaskets. Just make it so its smooth to the touch (it'll still be all gray/silver'ish) and call it done. The gasket is so squishy that the tony bit of left over residue will not matter AT ALL.

Do not waste more than 20 minutes doing this step unless you are using some metal gaskets or some other non-stock type gasket.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WD-40 and a red scotch brite pad will clean it real easy and it will also remove all the carbon off the piston tops without scratching or gouging.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used an emory cloth and rubbed the gasket material off. As you are noticing, its very hard to get all of it, but I got a good majority of it off. Since I was using the GM graphite gaskets, I figured this would be sufficient.

As for my piston faces, I had SO much gunk and oil residue on the faces, I had to use a razor blade to scrape it off. I was very careful and did not gouge the piston faces at all. Then after I got all the crap off, I used the emory cloth again on the piston faces to get it nice and smooth. Take a look at this picture. I know it looks really scratched, but thats just the camera, to the touch is was smooth as a baby's butt!

Old 06-03-2003, 12:27 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure the face is clean. Don't leave old gasket residue. Don't leave pieces of the gasket on the deck.

You can use a scotchbrite pad, but like all abrasives, be careful as you can round off corners and create low spots if you focus on one spot too much.

Another thing I use is a single edge razor blade. Be careful though, and don't nick the deck, or your fingers. The picture above is a pretty good example.