Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside of LS6 intake has sharp edges???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Inside of LS6 intake has sharp edges???

Has anyone ever looked inside of an LS6 intake...specifically the entrances to the runners where they meet the plenum? Those are some sharp edges. Most other places in the manifold look really smooth and clean (the runners look better than an LS2's though...that crappy friction welding on the LS2 leaves a ridge in them).

Anybody ever tried rounding those edges off (if so how'd you do it)?...it doesn't look like it'd take very long at all (if I had something that could reach in there to do it). When I feel the backside of the entrance to the plenum from the TB, that edge is at least broken (rounded), but the runners entrances to the plenum are not...

I've heard of some guys cutting the floor of the manifold off to port inside and then epoxying a new floor on (which would also open you up to being able to run the FAST burst panels on your new floor to protect you from a nitrous backfire...though I think you could even fit them to a stock LS6 intake floor if you were careful with removing the webbing from the bottom of the manifold.

Do you really need the collums in the center of the plenum if you do manage to reach in there with something to do some cleanup on those sharp edges?

Last edited by Mike454SS; 09-20-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ported out my LS6 intake. Ported the runners just a tad, and blended everything I could reasonably get to. I dont have a before and after, but the top end carries very well on my car. Does not even start to drop off till 6700+.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Did you touch that sharp edge in the plenum at all...or did you do your porting in the runner ends near the heads? Was this before or after you did the cam? Did you do both at the same time, or was the intake alone a contributor in the top end performance?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Did you touch that sharp edge in the plenum at all...or did you do your porting in the runner ends near the heads? Was this before or after you did the cam? Did you do both at the same time, or was the intake alone a contributor in the top end performance?
I reached as far as I could inside the intake port using a dremel, and a 3" mandrel and cartridge rolls. I also widened up the neck a bit. I didnt touch the standoffs inside the intake.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Don't get me wrong...I know no matter what it's going to be an improvement on my 2000 replacing the LS1 intake...I just figured since I'm in no super big rush to bolt it on, if I can do some cleanup work to make it even better...I'm all for it...and I'm not afraid of cutting the plenum floor off to do that...I can epoxy that back on.

I will say inside the LS2 intake I also have looks better on that runner inlet...but the runners themselves are a disaster (runner to runner leaks, edges where it's friction welded togather.