Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready to start my car! just some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 06:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost ready to start my car! just some questions.

The new Y.T. rockers are on my RMS SII heads, pretty much everything is back together, except the radiator, TNT kit, and lid assembly. One of my questions is: Inside the intake ports on my heads, you can see the rocker bolts (Common I guess for SII heads) I know I was suppost to put a bead of black RTV on the treads on the rocker bolts, but I forgot, and only put RED loctite on the threads. Will this be OK, or am I going to be burning MORE oil now? Last question, car has been sitting in the garage for 2 months now, any precautions I should do, before the initial start up?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Almost ready to start my car! just some questions.

Wow; thats is a long time to sit. ...hope the parts were sprayed with silicone before assembly...

...it is normal to see the rocker arm bolts in the intake ports...the Tera-Yella directions say loctite is optional - i installed mine with blue locker....

oil burning, i beleive, is a function of headers and changing the crankcase pressure.... nothing to do with new heads and cam....but while you have the car a part, it is a good idea to install a catch can or LS6 valley cover...

I did my H/C install over the holiday weekend and last weekend. It took a solid six days of work, but runs great now....

Old 06-03-2003, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

What I mean by burning "MORE" oil is that the oil might go down the rocker bolt holes, and drip into the intake. What Im saying is, will "RED" loctite stop the oil?
Old 06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. The stock rocker bolts have a thread sealer, or locker if you will, from the factory that remains on them for a long time. That's why they don't come off that easy no matter how many times they've been off.(within reason). Between that and the fact that the bolts are seated, I doubt you will ever have a drop of oil going down there. PS: if you want to use loctite, use the blue and not the red.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You shouldn'y have any problems.I use thread sealant on those bolts without problems.Just be prepared for the engine to tick loud on startup for up to 5 minutes till the lifters pump up.