Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did not cut block for LS6 valley cover install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did not cut block for LS6 valley cover install

OK, so last week my friend and I did a H/C swap on my LS1 and I ordered the LS6 valley cover because there was a lot of oil residue on my intake ports, and the combustion chambers and pistons had significant carbon build up.

I was not keen on cutting the aluminum block, so I bagan to consider alternatives. (See JMX web page for installation instructions on the LS6 valley cover that suggest cutting the engine block to allow fitting of PVC oil separator.)

What I came up with is this:

1. take of the old cover off and mark where the block interfers with the new valley cover because of the plastic PVC oil/air separator. (Mine was done with oil smeared on the engine block, but I assume you could use tape or just measure it...)

2. take the plastic oil/air separator of the new valley cover (10 small bolts)

3. With a hack saw blade, cut the plastic separator in three peices in the locations you marked when you placed it in the car. The piece I cut out of the separator was approximately 1.5 inches long.

4. Cut a 4 inch 1/4 diameter piece of copper tubing. Place the tubing on the underside of the new cover. Use red silicone sealant and re-install the two pieces of plastic separator to the under side of the valley cover - bolting them down with the 8 screws. The two peices should be installed over (on top of) the copper tubing...

5. Use high temp red silicone to blcok any remaining open areas in the "patch" to block any areas that could leak air.

6. Let silicone dry and test for leaks using your mouth as suction or an air gun.

7. Bolt the unit on and go back to the JMX directions to compete the plumping to the PVC valve....

This works GREAT and does not require any cutting of your engine block - what else could you ask for!

Unfortunately - i did not take pictures - Uhg!
Old 06-03-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Did not cut block for LS6 valley cover install

Sounds like it's no more work than doing the block. Plus, no metal shavings falling in the motor. Good thinkin'
Old 06-03-2003, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Cutting the block was a 5 minute task for me since the engine was out of the car. Is there something wrong with cutting the block? or was it that doing the work to the valley cover was easier for you?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Dan:
Well; my engine was in the car at the time and my primary thoughts were that I just did not want to cut the block.

This method avoids cutting hte block, avoids the possibility of getting metal shavings in the engine, and was really easy and effective.

Quick Reply: Did not cut block for LS6 valley cover install