Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to install a camshaft "upside-down"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
When you ask a question and some people say yes and others say no you should be able to figure out that you don't know the REAL question you want to ask OR how to ask it Some people figured this out as I did and gave you mocking answers as I often do You need to study 4 stroke theory some more so you know how it works then ask your question Before the chain is installed there are NO STROKES The cam and crank don't even know each other exist The crank is the heart and the cam is the brains When you MARRY the cam to the crank with the chain they have 4 babies the very day they get married Their names are Intake, Compression, Combustion and Exhaust They are born in a specific order and they must maintain this order and relationship to the crank for the engine to work correctly I believe I know what question you want to ask, but you need to study more so you can ask the correct question which leads to the answer you want
if they have 4 babies the day they get married,

The hell was that motor doing 9 months ago?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
if they have 4 babies the day they get married,

The hell was that motor doing 9 months ago?
LOL!! You just made my morning!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I took the valve covers off and put in a in-line spark tester on cylinder 1. With a friend turning over the engine I noted the cylinder was firing while the Intake valve was still open. I checked a couple other cylinders and noted the same. I changed out the brand new crankshaft sensor with another new one and bam she fired right up. Cannot get her to idle yet but that is just the next problem.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ITS EASY..

Old 06-29-2018, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it possible to install a camshaft "upside-down" Only in Australia!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
When you ask a question and some people say yes and others say no you should be able to figure out that you don't know the REAL question you want to ask OR how to ask it Some people figured this out as I did and gave you mocking answers as I often do You need to study 4 stroke theory some more so you know how it works then ask your question Before the chain is installed there are NO STROKES The cam and crank don't even know each other exist The crank is the heart and the cam is the brains When you MARRY the cam to the crank with the chain they have 4 babies the very day they get married Their names are Intake, Compression, Combustion and Exhaust They are born in a specific order and they must maintain this order and relationship to the crank for the engine to work correctly I believe I know what question you want to ask, but you need to study more so you can ask the correct question which leads to the answer you want
Reading that made my head hurt and I haven't even been drinking. That's one loooooooooooooooooooooooong sentence lol
Old 06-30-2018, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is cancer.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Reading that made my head hurt and I haven't even been drinking. That's one loooooooooooooooooooooooong sentence lol
The capital letters are there He just didn't use punctuation I didn't either You just have to learn to read it LOL
Old 06-30-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 474 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
He made one hell of a good point, though. I would hate to count the times I have had to explain to someone that in order to get the answers they want, they need to learn enough to ask the right questions. You end up in a downward spiral until you find their baseline knowledge, then you start from there.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

The capital letters are there He just didn't use punctuation I didn't either You just have to learn to read it LOL
Punctuation and capitalization are the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off his horse" and ... something else.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Punctuation and capitalization are the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off his horse" and ... something else.
Perfect lol
Old 07-01-2018, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default OHC engine with "upsidedown" cam timing

Hi ALL, THIS THREAD is GREAT AND NO ONE HERE has PROVIDED EVEN ONE REASON to do so, to install a camshaft "upside down".

I work with OHC cam engines OFTEN !

MOST applications are for Off Road racing, LOW END Torque increases, WHEN I install a camshaft Up-Side-Down.

The MOST common application is a class 7S truck using one of the Ford's V-6 engines.
The second is a Class 1 Buggy with Porsche 911 based engines.

The result is that TWO cylinder FIRE at the same time, a three cylinder engine sound is heard.

This style of engine operation makes for good driving up a sand wash OR on a Goat trail.

THUS to ALL HERE who made fun of this REQUEST, better get a new job !

Those who want to fit an upside down Crower Cams Copper camshaft can order one from Pantera EFI.

The engine will sound like a 308 GTS OR a Ford Mustang, the one with 180* crankshaft. (these engine have upside down camshafts)

Lance
Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Lance you might want to reread the first post, I think you missed the meaning of his post.

Originally Posted by JoeMamma AngieDaddy
I'm definatly overcomplicating a simple issue. Here is the thing. I think I pulled the stock cam out with crank-gear dot "up" and camshaft dot "up" as well. Then I reinstalled the camshaft "dot-to-dot" (crank dot up and cam dot down) then I decided it would be a good idea to make sure I didn't curse my self so I'm doing some follow up. How does the engine know when to pulse the injectors and the spark?
Originally Posted by pantera_efi
Hi ALL, THIS THREAD is GREAT AND NO ONE HERE has PROVIDED EVEN ONE REASON to do so, to install a camshaft "upside down".

I work with OHC cam engines OFTEN !

MOST applications are for Off Road racing, LOW END Torque increases, WHEN I install a camshaft Up-Side-Down.

The MOST common application is a class 7S truck using one of the Ford's V-6 engines.
The second is a Class 1 Buggy with Porsche 911 based engines.

The result is that TWO cylinder FIRE at the same time, a three cylinder engine sound is heard.

This style of engine operation makes for good driving up a sand wash OR on a Goat trail.

THUS to ALL HERE who made fun of this REQUEST, better get a new job !

Those who want to fit an upside down Crower Cams Copper camshaft can order one from Pantera EFI.

The engine will sound like a 308 GTS OR a Ford Mustang, the one with 180* crankshaft. (these engine have upside down camshafts)

Lance
Old 07-03-2018, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default LS Four/Twin Fire Camshaft

Hi LLL, YES I read the post, the OP question is VALID.
The OP has an invention, the UP SIDE DOWN camshaft.
REMEMBER the Clay Smith 1/4 Speed camshaft ?

THUS if I place 1/2 of the cam lobes Up Side Down, I will have TWO cylinders firing at the same time.

The result is a different torque pulse into the drive train, GOOD for some types of racing ?

This firing method IS common in F-1 engines.

Lance
Old 07-03-2018, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Lance, He was asking if he screwed up while installing the stock cam so I don't have any idea how you came to that conclusion.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to install a camshaft "upside-down"